Warrantless wiretapping in the United States: Is the NSA program legal under the Patriot Act?

• NSA Program is Legal

I feel that the NSA is mostly using this information to stop bad things from happening like terrorism and other threats. I think that it should only be used in a case where there is probable cause, and should not just be used at a certain person's discretion. I think that there should be a system in place.

• It is legal

I don't think that it is right or constitutional, but technically it is legal for the NSA program to wiretap whoever they think may have associated or be associated with a person of interest in a terrorist attack. People agreed with the Patriot Act at the time and are now having buyer's remorse.

• Yes, the NSA program is legal under the Patriot Act.

Yes, the NSA program is legal under the Patriot Act. Because of the September 11 attacks, Congress passed legislation designed to increase U.S. counterterrorism. Some of the most controversial measures, including the 2001 USA PATRIOT Act, enhanced the government's ability to collect and analyze information. Citizens argue that the surveillance infringes on civil privacy.

• It's Really Unclear

I believe it is really unclear rather the NSA's program is legal under the Patriot Act. It would more than likely take a lawyer to read the act and even come close to a reliable opinion. The act has received a lot of criticism and it has certainly given the government too much power.

• It is unconstituional.

No, the NSA warrantless wiretapping program in the United States is not legal under the patriot act, because the act is still in violation of the constitution. The constitution says that we have the right to be free of unreasonable searches and seizures. That means from the government for our supposed own safety as well.

• The NSA should be entirely illegal.

Government power is best left under the watchful eye of the public, which has usually been the case with the American government. But with the Patriot Act, many policies have been able to slip under the radar. The Prism NSA program has been only the latest example of this vast overreaching of government power.

• Warrantless wiretapping in the United States is not legal under the Patriot Act.

Warrantless wiretapping in the United States is not legal under the Patriot Act. I believe that they should have to obtain a warrant in order to violate rights of individuals in this country. Freedom of speech should come first and foremost and we should not have to worry about who else is listening to our phone calls.