Was Caitlyn Jenner a Bad Choice for "Woman of the Year" Award?

Asked by: stschiffman
  • Not a woman

He is not a woman.

He literally does not match the definition of a woman. Even if he were to remove his genitalia and undergo hormone treatments, he would still not be able to fit the definition of a woman. A person should be allowed to define themselves however they wish, but forcing others to recognize that definition is wrong. Is it ethical for someone who is going through an identity crisis to undermine the many amazing accomplishments of all the actual women out there that are deserving of accolades like this?

• No, obviously not.

I don't follow these kinds of things, I find awards ceremonies boring and pointless. Still, it seems odd to pick a mutilated man for woman of the year.

Words, words, words. Filling up the word minimum with words. Words, words, words, words, even more words, words, words, words, words, words.

• Definitely not a woman

Bruce Jenner (not Caitlin) is not a woman, and therefore should not have won woman of the year award. Just because you wear a wig, put on a dress, and have a photoshoot does not make you a woman. I wholeheartedly believe there were many other actual women who deserved this award.

• He is not a woman.

• He Doesn't Deserve It At All

He (I refuse to call him a she) has not even been a woman for a year, and he has already won the award.

In America, we used to look towards soldiers and police men to find courage, and frown upon those who live for attention. Now, we demonize soldiers and cops, and applaud whenever it's politically correct to.

Leaving your multi million dollar mansion to put on a multi million dollar dress to wear to a photo shoot and get paid several million dollars is not courage, it's just wrong, and it says a lot about our society that we award that.

• Yeah, seriously, why?

I find it hilarious how he hasn't even been a "woman" for a year, and he still gets "woman of the year". It makes no sense, but not much does nowadays. I disagree with his decision, but I respect it. However, I still don't think he deserves woman of the year.

• She has a penis

Caitlyn Jenner is socially a women, but not physically. She is biologically a male. Wearing a dress and getting plastic surgery does not change that. The women of the year should be a biological women, not a man. I'll call her by the name Caitlyn, refer to her as she and respect her choice to become transgendered. But I won't lie and say that she is a biological man.

• She is definitely a woman, and incredibly brave at that.

If she identifies as a woman, she's a woman. It was inspiring for her to come out, she set a fantastic example for other trans folks, and did great things to raise awareness for the cause and combat transphobia. Gender is separate from sex, and your refusal to accept those outside of the binary is, frankly, a testament to your close mindedness.