• I can't see with all this advertising.

I was walking through my local The Warehouse in early October, cramming halloween decorations on the shelving alongside Christmas decorations. I received the 'get in early to avoid Christmas rush' junk mail the following week, alongside every other large retail outlet. October! Given that people who identify as Christian in my country is roughly 30% (and even less regularly attend their building of choice), I would guess that an even smaller percentage knows where the story started.

• It's become Insain

I'm not religious... Spiritual maybe... But even so I'm thinking this whole set up is quite literally Insain. Why is everyone spending hundreds of pounds on tat they don't need ( and often go into debt for) for one day in December of which most people don't now celebrate for any traditial religious reasons... Thus... It's literally just a day. Maybe we should rename it 'tat day'. In a recent poll 56% of people said they'd happily help someone lonely this Christmas.. I found this figure quite horrifying. Presumably the other 44% ( nearly half the population) are quite happy to let people feel isolated and lonely as they're too busy playing with their tat!! The planet can't sustain this level of waste much longer either. It's time to get a grip and raise our human standards. Pre- Christmas shopping is equally tragic. Presumably most people missed the memo that the shops re- open on Boxing Day so no need to stockpile like we're just about to enter WW3. Right, I'm off to baste the huge overpriced Turkey I've bought and will probably end up tripping over some of my ten year olds £300 of presents on the way... Bah humbug!

• Cleansing of the temples

How can we celebrate the birth of a great teacher with actions that directly oppose his teachings?
    " Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves." From the New International Version.
    I understand this to mean that he was opposed to people profiting off of the church and using it for commercial purposes. Also there is the utter madness of the Black Friday sales. People getting in fist to cuffs over televisions deals. What happened to turn the other cheek? We have lost the meaning of Christmas entirely. It should be a celebration of the coming of arguably the greatest moral teacher in history, whose message was peace and love for all. He lived a very humble life, practiced under consumption, and mindfulness in all his actions, not mindless over consumption.

• Yes it is

So many people depressed. Most over debt some over having no one or thing to celebrate with. For me the reverse is true screw every month of the year but October November and especially December. Christmas is the one time I get to have any joy and I see this in many other people as well. I may not be as rude or down right venomous as others tend to be year round but walking up and shaking my hand any other time of the year beyond December is in advisable. So I do say yes it is destroying the key joys of said wondrous time.

• Christmas Lost It's Meaning

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Christmas, at one time, was a family tradition and holiday centered around good ideals and meaning. Now it has been boiled down to a reason to buy and buy in mass. We spent this holiday season attempting to squeeze by on a budget while my son asked for everything under the sun and expected it all. Now that Christmas is over he keeps asking for more new stuff...

• Yes, Christmas was destroyed by consumerism

This concept has been a steady deterioration by our country. The spiritual aspects of our core and traditions are slowly being eroded away and we are continuously moving to an agnostic and ultimately to an atheistic society, where God is gone and faith and religion are no longer a part of our tapestry.

• I may be wrong but, yes Christmas was destroyed by consumerism

Christmas has been destroyed by consumerism. Christmas used to be about family and showing love to the world. It is celebrated widely like it were a tradition but so much has been added to the tradition that the pure essence and spirit of Christmas is fading rapidly. If you don't have money around the holidays nobody likes you.

• The Christmas spirit has been smothered.

Consumerism has smothered the spirit and good will of Christmas. With all the ads focusing on sales and what to get friends and family, the true meaning and feel of Christmas is lost. When people now think of Christmas time it is not about the warm feelings of brotherly love and good will to men, it is about what do I want and how can I give someone their gift as cheaply as I can. The Christmas holiday is, in my opinion, on par with Black Friday and Memorial Day sales rather than standing out as a day to Celebrate goodwill and kindness. Everywhere there are ads for discounts and Christmas season sales which replace the reminders of the joys of Christmas and the true meaning of Christmas. There used to be ads about donating to the Salvation Army or volunteer to help the needy, but now they are replaced with how to get that gift your child wants for less. Ads now tell you the only way to make your loved ones happy is to get them that gift they have been worrying you about. As long as we view the Christmas season as a discount season, we will not remember it is the Birth of Christ, and the goodwill we can do for others.

• Inaccurate wording of question

No, Christmas hasn't been "destroyed" but it has morphed into a secular holiday for many people. The pressure to buy things and "create a holiday" is very stressful and is unrelated to what many consider the original reason for Christmas, to celebrate the birth of Christ. Many people celebrate both religiously and secularly.

• Christmas lives everyone don't be sad!

Omg god is so imporntant! I can't beleive you hate jesus! Its the most important time of year, consumerism is getting presents and thats always nice too. Giving gifts is an act of love, its generosity which is exactly what jesus would want us to do on his birthday. Buying things isn't evil!

• Christmas is Still Thriving

Christmas has not been destroyed by consumerism. Yes, giving presents is part of Christmas, but its only a small part of it Many people enjoy spending the day with family and friends. There is also a religious connection to Christmas and many people make a bug deal about going to church on December 25th.