Was Daffy Duck meant to be a caricature of black people?

Asked by: Adam2
  • His voice is an African-sounding voice

He's extremely buffoonish. All of his movies are buffoonish. He's made to look like an idiot. He talks like an idiot. This is exactly the stereotypes black people had a long time ago. He also has the voice of a black person (the most important reason I feel that Daffy Duck was a racist caricature).

• He is a stereotype of a brute

He is always angry with others, and really rude. I felt like he was made to be African American back in the day because by the way he talks, and again how he is very illiterate. He doesn't know how to read nor right, and is always getting into trouble. To me I think he is somewhat racist to African Americans.

• He is a stereotype of a brute

• Not at all

He's just a duck. That's all. His lisp was patterned after the studio's producer Leon Schlesinger. The only "ethnic" aspect of Daffy Duck at all is that Mel Blanc made Daffy a Jewish comedian, since Mel himself was Jewish. Other than that, anyone who thinks Daffy is a racist portrayal of any culture is a paranoid idiot.

• No chance in hell

Daffy is just a black duck, plain and simple. I've been watching these cartoons for 30 years and have never thought Daffy was a portrayal of colored people. All Daffy is, is just a wild and crazy cartoon character who is very mischievous. Jar jar binks is the character you should be upset about