Was it appropriate for a woman to spend a night in jail and face misdemeanor charges for not returning a VHS tape in 2005?

• It was appropriate for a woman to spend a night in jail and face misdemeanor charges for not returning a vhs tape in 2005

It was appropriate for a woman to spend a night in jail and face misdemeanor charges for not returning a vhs tape in 2005, because not returning a vhs tape is the equivalent to shoplifting, which is a misdemeanor crime and carries a maximum penalty of 1 year in Jail and or a $5,000 fine. If the woman did not return the vhs tape or pay for its value then it would be appropriate to charge her with shoplifting.

• No it was not appropriate.

It's a VHS that was rented EIGHT YEARS AGO. She most likely forgot, since VHS tapes are so rarely used anymore, and stashed it away in forgetfulness, and making her spend a night in jail like some criminal makes it seem as if she's doing something worse. There's so many injustices occurring every day and of every caliber and those wrong-doers aren't jailed.

• Very Inappropriate Action

I do not believe it was appropriate for a woman to spend a night in jail and face misdemeanor charges for no returning a VHS tape after 8 years. While the woman seems to be taking the incident lightly, I think it is a grave injustice in many ways and it shouldn't happen.

• No not really.

I think spending a night in jail for not returning a VHS tape is a little extreme and does not make a lot of since. Just make them pay for the tape, or pay for the tap plus an extra charge. Sending them to jail makes them look bad for something that isn't that bad.

• That was a waste of time, money, and resources for her to be arrested.

When I read that story I had to shake my head. To be arrested and possible charged for a VHS movie was insane. There are so many other things the police should of been doing. There are people who hurt children, and people who hurt animals. They are the ones that should be gone after and arrested, not this woman who did not return a Jennifer Lopez movie.

• No, it was not an appropriate action for not returning a VHS tape.

I do not think it was at all appropriate for a woman to spend a night in jail and face misdemeanor charges for not returning a VHS tape. An appropriate action would have been to simply charge her the cost of the VHS tape or ban her from renting any more VHS tapes at the establishment.