Was it politically expedient for Democrats to press for Trent Lott's resignation after his comments made at Strom Thurmond's birthday party?

• Showed his true colors

I think that a lot of times on both sides people are elected without really having to show people what their thoughts and feelings are. If you want to promote someone who was a declared racist, then that's fine but you need to own up to it and let your constitutes decide if they want someone like that representing them.

• It was politically expedient for Democrats to press for Trent Lott's resignation after his comments made at Strom Thurmond's birthday party.

It was politically expedient for Democrats to press for Trent Lott's resignation after his comments made at Strom Thurmond's birthday party. Strom Thurmand ran for presidency under a segregationist platform. Trent Lott praised Strom Thurmond's presidential bid. However Democrats are vehemently opposed to segregation, discrimination, and racism, so it was expedient for Democrats to press for Trent Lott's resignation after his comments were made.

• Yes, it was politically expedient for Democrats to press for Trent Lott's controversial remarks.

I definitely think there was a political slant for Democrats to make a bigger deal out of what Trent Lott said at Strom Thurmond's birthday party. I do not think that Trent Lott's comments warranted his resignation. But like I said, there were political benefits for the Democrats to make it controversial.

• They needed to save face.

Yes, it was politically expedient for Democrats to press for Trent Lott's resignation after his commends made at Strom Thurmond's birthday party, because the Democrats had to disassociate themselves from Trent Lott. They couldn't have it for political reasons. They saved a lot of public opinon for the Democratic party by dumping Trent Lott. Not that he didn't deserve it.

• Comments went too far

Yes, I think that with Thurmond's not so happy past and stance on racial rights it was a good idea and expeident for Democrats to press for Lott's resignation. Lott went too far with his comments and should have known that he is in the political spotlight and must watch what he says.