Was it wrong for the staff at an independent living community to refuse to perform CPR on an elderly woman?

• What exactly did the people signing up for this job think they would be doing?

It doesn't matter if a person doesn't have the 'confidence' to perform CPR. If you try, they at least have a chance at life, to see their family, tell them that they love them one last time. If you don't, they're dead. My choice, like I think most people's would be, is to have some one try to save me, rather than watch me die. I'd rather have a broken rib and be in the hospital, not dead and in the ground.

• Yes, it was wrong.

For anyone to think that the people working at that place were right to let that woman die is beyond the pale. Everyone has a moral and sometimes legal obligation to render aid to someone who needs it, and to stand there and let a person die in front of you is terrible.

• What is the point?

What is the point of having a family member at a living community if they are going to refuse to help them if something happens? Glenwood Gardens should be investigated and made to change their policies. They are considered to be a skilled nursing facility but yet refuse to provide any medical assistance beyond what a toddler could do.

• I thought that was absolutely abhorent.

I don't really care what the policies are. The fact that the woman was dying and the staff were so apathetic to the matter made me sick to my stomach. I just think that they lose their humanity working in a place like that. I heard the phone call and I was utterly appalled.

• If they are professionals in their field they would help.

I think that if the staff doesn't know CPR, then they should be fired. If they do know it and didn't use it on an elderly woman that needed it, then they too should be fired. These people are supposed to provide a service and if they don't do that then they aren't living up to what they should.

• Saying No Is A Courageous Choice

While my headline may sound bad, it really depends on the situation. If one does not have the confidence to perform CPR, they should not even try. They can cause damage and harm to the person they are trying to save. In such situations, it is best to get out of the way in favor of somebody who knows what they are doing.

Posted by: rpr