Was Jacques Chirac an effective opponent of U.S. President George W. Bush's decision to invade Iraq?

• No he was not

Jacques Chirac was obviously not an effective opponent, because the invasion of Iraq still went foward. It certainly didn't help that France under his watch did their own invasions and attacks, and that their stance didn't seem to come off as principled, but more that they felt this was the wrong war to fight.

• He Didn't Get The Point Across

Jacques Chirac spoke against President George W. Bush's decision to invade Iraq, but I feel it would have been much better if he would have talked him out of it, so the room for improvement was there. I remember the tension between America and France at the time, around 2003. Unfortunately, it would have been great if more leaders whould have actually sided with Jacques Chirac on this one.

• No, Jacques Chirac was not effective in his opposition of invading Iraq.

Jacques Chirac was not an effective opponent of the Iraq invasion. The only thing that Jacques Chirac accomplished in his weak opposition was to make Saddam Hussein believe that he didn't need to give in to any of the united forces that were asking him to step down. It was the week opposition like that of Jacques Chirac that actually made it necessary to invade Iraq. Had they stood united then Saddam Hussein would not have been emboldened.

• No. I do not believe Jacques Chirac was an effective opponent of U.S. President George W. Bush's decision to invade Iraq.

No. I do not believe Jacques Chirac was an effective opponent of U.S. President George W. Bush's decision to invade Iraq, because he wasn't effective. Obviously. George W. Bush evaded Iraq rather quickly so it would ridiculous to call someone an effective opponent to that decision when they didn't stop the invasion.

• Bush Invaded Anyway

I applaud Jacques Chirac for standing up to warmonger George W. Bush ahead of his invasion of Iraq in 2003. However, Chirac wasn't an effective opponent because Bush invaded Iraq anyway. The only way Chirac would have been able to prevent the American military from invading was to attack the United States itself.