Was John Bonham a better drummer than Neil Peart?

Asked by: Sumocolt768
  • It's all about depth for me....

It is amazing the DEPTH John Bonham got out of his relatively small basic kit when compared to the monstrosity of a kit that Neil Peart uses. Peart could swing his sticks anywhere and hit a drum....Bonham had to work for it a bit more. And that right foot ........ He used a single pedal and he made it sound like a Jack rabbit was pounding on it!

• Bonham, the one and only

Agree with many here, this is, to a great extent, a debate between technical ability and raw talent. Bonham is the one who had more artistic ability and feel. He could channel the atmosphere through his instrument like no other. Neil COULD have been the more technically advanced drummer but I'd take Bonhams' talent over Neils' ability if i'd get to pick.

• Feel vs time

You can train time but not feel. When the levee breaks, no one will ever duplicate that unless we have an amazing talent up and coming. The feel that bonham had was astounding, neil pert i respect him and admire him but i take feel over time any day mamba out

• Feel vs time

• Feel vs time

• Musicality over Technicality

There's no arguing against Neil Peart's technical abilities. He can play highly complex beats and fills at phenomenal speeds. Definitely one of the most skilled working today, and of all time, for that matter. However, I've always found his playing style to be pretty stiff. It just sounds so mathematical and doesn't have that much soul. Bonham in the other hand, put his soul into every beat. When you hear 'When the Levee Breaks,' there's not a moment where he isn't living in percussion nirvana. In addition, he was much better at providing a backbone for band. I find that Peart sometimes lets his knowledge of polyrythms, etc. get in the way of a classic riff. Bonham had the unique ability to sit in the song, flesh out the dynamics, while still maintaining his usual awesomeness. He was also technically proficient enough to adapt to various different styles.

Bonham was also a summation of everything great about rock drumming that had come before him. He had the musical sensibility of Ringo Starr, always sitting in the song, the technical abilities of Ginger Baker (he was a pioneer of the heel-toe technique), with the rock-and-roll spirit of Keith Moon. He was truly the apex, and while some, including Peart, have come close, no-one has every truly surpassed his charismatic, soulful, and always tasteful, feel for the drums.

• Legacy: Versatility & Innovation

Arguments about either writing the music or performing vocals are not relevant to how well each played the drums. Sure, Neil is super technical and skilled beyond measure. However, when compared to the versatility of songs, Led Zeppelin was all over the place -- blues, rock, reggae, etc. Each song had something distinct about it. I don't understand how anyone thinks they are underrated. Of course the songs weren't all about the drummer. Bonham could make it all about the drums when the time came, but his artistry is what made him special. He had a gift for creatively following the lead of those he worked with. That's what it's all about. Bonham added just the right touch to each composition to make it shine. His innovation and feel for each song is what sets him apart from the others.

• Technical Skill Doesn't Surpass Rock "Feeling"

Neil Peart is a better technical drummer... Huge and complicated set, crazy fast fills and complicated rhythms. But John Bonham was a better rock drummer. He had a knack for always sounding cool and having just the right beat to make a song rock that much more. In an era that gave us Disco and bottomless amounts of other cheesy music, Bonham was never cheesy. He felt rock like no one before him. I didn't even like to listen to Led Zepplin until someone told me "it's all about the drums." That's when my eyes were opened to the fact that he is the best rock drummer ever. It's about the feeling.

• Being a Canadian

Being a Canadian you would think I would be biased and pick Neil Peart, but for me, Bonham is the better drummer. The flashiest hockey player, or guitarist, or pool player or whatever is always a lot of fun to watch and admire, but they are rarely the best player in their field. John Bonham was a rock, and in my opinion, the better player

• He Keeps Groove

One of the most important parts of being a drummer is to keep a steady, consistent groove and to lock in with the bassist. Neil Peart solos out too much. He is a great drummer, but he is missing the necessary concepts of being a skilfully drummer. John Bonham is very steady on the other hand.

• John Bonham lacked the formal training Neil Peart had

Though both drummers are (or were, in this case for Bonham) fantastic percussionists, Bonham simply didn't have the formal training that Peart was provided early on. Whereas Bonham was more experimental (think Led Zeppelin's "Two Sticks"), Peart was more methodical and precise. John Bonham may have been speedy, but Peart has stamina and proficiency.

• This is a joke. Neil RULES!

OK then. I agree that John Bonham is good. Well--way more than "good." Remarkable abilities that many seasoned drummers cannot imitate. He has a unique style too--and even if you're not a fan of the LZ music, you simply MUST admire his musicianship. Neil, however, wins hands down in technical ability, skill, and overall musicianship. Unbelievable precision and speed, he defines the word "tight" wrt rock drumming. Aside from his eye-watering technical expertise, he brings a cohesiveness to Rush that is mind-bending. Words can't express the genius behind his drumming. Yeah... Neil rules forever!

• Neil has my Vote for the Best Drummer

Peart's technical ability coupled with his penchant to make the beat match the essences of the lyrics set the tone of the song is phenomenal. Yes, I agree it could be mechanical, but this made the song and moreover the drum segment are replicable thus easier to learn. As many can agree, understanding the message and learning is a major point in many of Rush's songs. The Drum beat produced by Neil Peart serves as the carrier of the message. With No dis-respect or discredit towards John Bonham, another phenomenal drummer in his own right. My vote is for Neil Peart as the better drummer.

• Rush the most underrated

John Bonham is no doubt a fantastic drummer, playing for one of the most popular groups in the world. However, Neil Peart always staggers me when I listen to his drumming. Not failing to mention the fact that he wrote most of the songs for rush. I know that has nothing to do with the drumming technique itself, but it means Neil can produce fantastic percussion without making himself centre of attention. John Bonham's solos are good but the main thing is speed. Neil Peart's solos are more to do with the percussion and how it makes the listener feel. I get the impression the drumming from Peart is a story on its own. Rush is the most underrated band, and if you are a rock fan, you will definitely be surprised about the music rush performs. I guarantee that you will find a piece which you will like. Neil Peart is my idol. Extremely impressive. Doesn't get enough credit for who he is.

• Rush the most underrated

• Rush the most underrated

• Rush the most underrated

• Rush the most underrated

• Rush the most underrated

• The Two Best

To me it's a matter of style or taste, not pure talent; they're both amazing and to an extent trend-setters in their own right. Mr. Bonham was like a muscle car; Mr. Peart like a Ferrari; think (over-simplistically) "drummer" versus "percussionist". I find Mr. Peart's style more interesting and more entertaining; he made percussion the centerpiece of the rhythm section as opposed to it being in a primarily supporting role.