• Yeah he was pretty apathetic towards black people

Make no mistake the Civil War was absolutely about slavery. It was also largely about states rights. But the issue of states rights came up because of the argument over the outlawing of slavery. States rights was the defense used by the states which eventually made up the Confederacy.
    Lincolns main goal in leading the civil war was that he was extremely dedicated to ending slavery at all costs. He was quoted to have said he didn't care if the country stayed one with legalized slavery or by abolishing it so long as the country did indeed stay together. So in short he didn't really care if there was slavery or no slavery he just wanted a united country and could've honestly cared less if people were enslaved. He told Harriet Beecher Stowe that she "made this big war" with her book Uncle Tom's Cabin because she enflamed northern abolitionism. He didn't like that.
    Lincoln also did not have a grudge against the Confederacy he welcomed them back with open arms in order to make the transition back into one country easier. They were not to be punished for the war until after Lincoln's death.
    Source: International Baccalaureate History of the Americas course student.

• A very proud and unapologetic one too

Now not that this has anything to do with the question (since slavery and racism are not the same), Lincoln didn't really end slavery, and unlike what IDIOTS HERE SAY, Lincoln NEVER made any mention about this WAR BEING ABOUT SLAVERY. He never did. That is just something idiots love to say. He never claimed it was about slavery. HE NEVER DID. Lincoln wanted to weaken the Confederate states, not anything else.

Lincoln was a proud racist for the most part who didn't think blacks were the same as whites.

• Yes, sadly he was.

By modern standards Lincoln was a racist. He openly opposed slavery often spoke of the need to end it in America. However, he also said that he did not consider black people to be equal to white people and made many other remarks that we would consider racist. That said, it is not really fair to judge a man of the eighteenth century by the standards of the twenty-first century.

• Lincoln Was Definitely a Racist

Famous Abe Lincoln Quote:

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”

• He wanted to preserve the Union

Lincoln's only goal was to preserve the Union. In fact, in his inauguration, he stated his goal was to keep slavery as an institution in the South. He once said to a group of freed slaves that 'your people and my people are inherently different, yours is inferior to mine, and we both must accept the mutual negativity that results from the other'.

• Is there evidence?

There really isn't any evidence to support this. Yes, a major issue of the civil war besides slavery was states rights, but that proves nothing. He worked to pass the 13th amendment, even negotiating its ratification with southern states that would be readmitted to the union. Enforcing fugitive slave laws is no proof. Where is the proof? With out any sources Aff arguments are invalid, and the burden of proof is on them.

• I'm sorry what?

This man was not a racist, after all it was he who signed the Emancipation Proclamation freeing all black slaves, or am I incorrect? He also lead the US in the bloodiest war in History to free the black man and reunite the Union... Unless I am wrong again? No average anti-racist would lead a war to free an entire people, would they?

• Lincoln the Great

Although Lincoln's main goal wasn't to abolish slavery in the Civil War, he still was against it. He thought there was no way to abolish slavery in the U.S. If you even WAS a racist, he was less racist than a lot of people, because he didn't actually own slaves while the other people and presidents did. So quit hating on one of the most famous presidents. Besides, he IS the one who signed the Emancipation Proclamation. If he was racist, he wouldn't have signed it. End of story.

Adam2isback says2015-01-09T00:46:54.897
And being Swedish (cause he was part Swedish), he was definitely an open racist. Sweden has had a lot of horrible history (their subjugation of Finland being one of them).