• No, Lupita Nyongo's Oscar acceptance speech was not the best ever.

Though Lupita Nyongo's Oscar acceptance speech was gracious and moving, it was not the best ever. That title still belongs to Tom Hanks for his 1993 acceptance speech for best actor for his performance in Philadelphia. This speech (and of course his performance in the movie) helped to humanize homosexuality and the AIDS epidemic in a way that straight middle-America could relate to. Many things have gotten our society to its current level of acceptance of homosexuality, and we shouldn't give too much credit to a single speech, but Tom Hanks was someone that regular people see as similar to themselves, and he used the opportunity to talk frankly about what it meant to be gay in America and deal with such a terrible disease.

• How do we qualify a speech?

There is no denying that Lupita Nyongo gave an incredible speech at the Oscars this year, and it's not surprising that so many people have been so moved by it. However, to call it the "best ever" assumes that the metrics for grading a speech are easily qualified. I don't believe this to be the case. What makes one speech better or worse than another can easily come down to subjective taste. In that case, I would call the speech great, but would not call it the "best".

• No, Nyongo's speech was not the best.

I do not think that Lupita Nyongo's Oscars speech was the best ever. I think that it was a bit drawn out and a little boring for me. While she was emotional, it takes more than that for a speech to be great. I think there has been better speeches before.

• Not too memorable

Her speech was not that memorable, at least not more than so many other speeches over the years. The speech given the other night was good, definitely, and this isn't to disparage Ms. Nyongo or her speech at all, but there is a long history of speeches and she is just another.

• Sydney Poitier's Was Better

Lupita Nyong'o's 2014 Oscar acceptance speech was fantastic, but it wasn't the best ever. No words can ever make up for the horrors of slavery and no movies about that time period can ever repay African Americans for centuries of indentured servitude. Sydney Poitier's speech in 1964 was better because he was the first African-American to win an Academy Award.