Was Obama's State of the Union address an appeal for gun control votes?

• It was definitely on the agenda

Yes, throughout his State of the Union Address it seemed as if President Obama was gearing his speech toward gun control votes. Granted, this may not have been the plan, but it was definitely executed as such. Also the bringing up two recent shooting victims was actually closing deal. I have to agree to a certain extent that guns are out of control, but laws don't seem to working either.

• Yes it is his big agenda

Now with Obama care coming through Obama's next big goal is gun control and he absolutely is working to bring votes aboard for his plan. The gun control plan looks pretty good on the surface but only time will tell. There could be hidden parts to it where are not really aware of yet.

• Obama Looking for Gun Control Votes

During his State of the Union address, Obama catered directly to gun control advocates. He's using recent shooting tragedies to drum up support for gun control measures. Anyone with two eyes and two ears noticed that during the speech. However, it's somewhat disingenuous to parlay for votes using the State of the Union Address.

• Populist President Appeals to Common Sense

Obama's State of the Union address isn't an appeal for votes. He appeals to the masses and to common sense. Instead of trying to change the votes of members of Congress, Obama tries to get voters to write to their legislators and the State of the Union is the perfect setting for such a message.

• Increase Gun Control

I agree with Obama on his stance. There are many dangerous weapons out there and it does deserve a vote. There have been many recent shootings back to back which is making it more difficult to go out of the house feeling safe. I have these feelings. I don't feel safe walking out of the house and going to school because it could be us next. More gun control means a tighter regulation not a complete annihilation of the second amendment and I believe we should take out the unnecessary weapons from circulation in the public.

• Yes he wants the gun control votes

Yes, I do believe his appeal for gun control was a big part of his speech. He used the victims of two recent shootings to win people over. He tried to make them sympathize with the victims in order for them to see the need for gun control. I don't believe there is any debate on whether not he appealed for gun control votes because he made clear statements on why people should vote for it.

• Yes, I believe it was sincere.

Although Obama cannot go wrong in supporting gun control in today's political climate, I believe he is sincere in caring about that issue. His discussion in the State of the Union address certainly got him much approval at little cost because regardless of what he said gun control is going to be a battle to get moved through Congress and he cannot be blamed for that.

• No, it was an appeal to all kinds of votes.

No, Obama's State of the Union address was not an appeal for gun control votes, because it was pandering to all kinds of voters in general. Obama's state of the union was nothing less than a plea for socialism. Obama was not catering to any one type of voters in particular. His speech was a campaign speech in general.

• N. it was a State of the Union address.

President Obama addressed many issues in his state of the union address, and while gun control is a huge issue right now, as it should be, his address was not an appeal for votes from a certain sector of the population. In fact, although I generally support President Obama, I believe it's even possible for a president to appeal for a certain type of votes.

• No, The Stances Are Entrenched

Unfortunately, the positions on this issue are very hard. The people who agree with the NRA will never come around to Obama's speech. The president could say exactly what those folks want to hear, and they'll still find something to gripe about. Obama's speech will likely only appeal to his supporters and some moderates.

Posted by: rpr