• Given the circumstances I believe it was

I agree with much of what the other side is saying here, only they disregard inevitability - the US has already cut off trade with Japan and had issued verbal ultimatums that basically suggested that a Japanese invasion of Indonesia (where the oil was) SE Asia etc. would mean war. Pearl Harbour could have been conducted better but essentially it was a good gamble at the time considering that war was inevitable. Several American battleships were sunk and even though victory was still unlikely I just don't see any other way apart from withdrawing from all of their Pacific territories other than Japan, which they simply weren't going to do; remember 200 American planes were destroyed and the US expected an attack on the Philippines so it was, like so many other things, a good idea at the time given the circumstances.

• Um, why is this even a debate?

There's no way in a trillion years that this was a good idea for Hirohito and the Japanese. As bad as the sanctions were that we imposed on Japan (trade embargoes, etc) we still had not physically declared war on them yet, and we probably would have held off for a while if they hadn't bombed Pearl Harbor. The Japanese should have understood that the longer they delay our involvement in the war, the better. By bombing Pearl Harbor, the Japanese committed seppuku - suicide - on a national scale. In the words of President Roosevelt, "they have awakened a sleeping dragon." The "dragon" routed the Japanese and the Nazis, then dropped two atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and that was that.

• A thousand times no

The Japanese empire sealed its fate by striking Pearl Harbor. Even if we assume the best case scenario - the entire American Pacific Fleet with all of its carriers destroyed - the industrial and economic might of the United States meant the fleet could be reconstructed quickly. There was simply no way the Japanese had any realistic hope of victory by striking Pearl Harbor.

Japan might have stood a chance if she had not struck the fleet, thus uniting the American people in rightgeous anger. Unfortunately for them, American embargoes on necessities such as oil, tin, and rubber had forced the Japanese hand.

• They Missed

They missed the carrier fleet and angered a pacifist nation with amazing industrial might. Missing the most valuable targets made Pearl Harbor a minor speed bump for the United States to overcome and the industrial might being unleashed left the Japanese no real hope of victory. They would have kept their empire had they left the United States alone.

• Their actions resulted in more unfortunate punishment than they could have imagined

Surely, the Japanese did not think that their bombing of Pearl Harbor would happen without America retaliating and mortal repercussions. Did they deserve the Hydrogen bomb that we dropped on them? Yes, they probably did, and it sent a very strong message. However, we stooped to their level when we wiped Hiroshima off the map...In addition to the H-bomb that we dropped, millions of their citizens were taken captive and held in horrible conditions in prisons in the US. And there was a strong, unfair prejudice against Japanese-Americans for decades; The people who were punished in both situations, simply, were not the party responsible for the bombing on Pearl Harbor.

• It is to small

No, I don't think it was worth it because Pearl Harbor is kind-of small and Japan is big. I think they could have done better, but I don't want it to happen again. I think it was and still is a bad thing. No one REALLY deserves it and if we did it again our world might just fall apart.

• It is to small