Was Pope Benedict XVI correct in resigning his position due to old age and failing health?

• Yes,Pope Benedict XVI was correct in resigning his position.

Yes,Pope Benedict XVI was correct in resigning his position because of age and failing health.The head of the catholic church needs to be robust to a certain extent.This way his followers will always have faith that he will be in good enough health to lead them when it comes right down to it.

• Yes, we need leadership.

Yes, Pope Benedict XVI was correct in resigning his post due to old age and health, because it is appropriate to let other people take over. The Catholic church needs a strong leader. The person must be able to travel, and they must be able to speak. It was humble of Pope Benedict XVI to accept that someone else could do the job.

• Not Another John Paul II

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI was right to resign his post before infirmity set in. Pope John Paul II was ineffective as pope during the final decade or so of his pontificate because he was too old to handle the office. Benedict XVI's successor is doing a fantastic job, so clearly God spoke to both men's hearts and they listened properly. Kudos to Benedict XVI for doing the right thing--he could have been stubborn and hung on longer, but instead he chose to step down for the good of the church. I may not be Catholic, but I can't find fault for Benedict XVI's behavior during the final days of his papacy.

• Pope Benedict XVI was correct in resigning his position due to old age and failing health.

Pope Benedict XVI was correct in resigning his position due to old age and failing health. When people get older, they become less able to do their jobs. Pop Benedict made the right choice in stepping down when he felt that he could not do his job anymore, and others should follow suit.

• Different But Good Decision

I believe Pope Benedict XVI may have misunderstood that generally a pope serves out his time until he passes, but overall I think he made a sound decision. I am not sure if he felt like the Catholic Church needed a strong leader or maybe one that was less feable and able to serve his people.