Was Pope Francis right to say we should not be allowed to offend others' faith?

Asked by: henrywatson
  • Criticise, but not offend

I am definitely supportive of the right to rationally offer constructive criticism to religion, but offending the religion of other people offends the people themselves, and is unnecessary.

Are we allowed to offend someone's sexuality? No.

Are we allowed to offend someone's race? No.

So why should we be allowed to offend someone's religion?

• He is right to try and promote tolerance and acceptance for all people of all faiths.

He is right no one has the right to ridicule and offend what another believes. Many people follow the same religions but didn't all agree on every aspect of that religion so what gives one type of religion more authority over another? Isn't offending someone's freewill to choose what beliefs get them closer to God against gods teachings? Didn't God preach love acceptance tolerance respect for each other? Why waste time and energy offending each other why does it matter what belief system someone uses to get closer to God? As long as it gets them there peaceful for all its only the individuals business not everyone one else's. Religion is individual beliefs to each person. No need to offend each other.

• Pope Francis does have the right

Proverbs 31:8-9 ESV / 262 helpful votes

Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy.

Psalm 82:3 ESV / 118 helpful votes

Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute.

Galatians 3:28 ESV / 100 helpful votes

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 1:17 ESV / 75 helpful votes

Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause.

Micah 6:8 ESV / 44 helpful votes

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Helpful Not Helpful
    Genesis 1:26 ESV / 24 helpful votes

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Colossians 3:11 ESV / 22 helpful votes

Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all.

Romans 13:1-10 ESV / 18 helpful votes

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. ...The right to exercise, or manifest, one’s religion or belief will not generally be considered to be interfered with if a person is left with a choice as to whether or not to comply with his or her religious obligations. However, there will be interference if restrictions make it practically difficult or almost impossible to exercise the religion or belief.

• Criticise, not offend

I am all for the offering of constructive criticism of religious belief, but offending peoples' faith is both unnecessary and bigoted. We desire a society where people are tolerant and mild-mannered, allowing people to offend each other is not cohesive to this.

Are we allowed to offend someone's nationality? No.

So why should we offend someone's religion?

• Yes, definitely !

Everyone has their own faith, i think that it's not ok to offend someone else's faith and its just not right. Think if someone else offended your faith. You may think your faith and religion is the right way and path but it doesn't mean to offend other people. Believe what you believe, but you shouldn't offend other people's faith.

• I'm an atheist

And think that intentionally offending people of a faith is uncalled for. Problem is, people of faith are very thin skinned when it comes to their belief. The tend to feel that anything that does not coincide with their faith as offensive. As an atheist, I deny god exist. To many people of faith, that is offensive. If someone is of a different faith, then they feel that as offensive.
    When talking about religion, I tend to watch what I say. I don't insult the other person but I do tend to insult the logic they use. I also don't insult their deity unless you count were the evidence I show puts the deity in an unkind light.
    Though I am an atheist, I was a Christian and most of my family still is. From my personal experience, I find most theists to be just as intelligent and logical as others. The only exception is their belief in a god. That they believe a god as fact where there is no evidence to support it as fact. I could go on but maybe later.

• It's ok to question, but not ok to offend.

There is a difference between questioning a religion and offending it. When you question it, it's in a polite manner, but offending it is just saying that the religion is completely inaccurate. I think that we shouldn't offend a faith because we believe in what we believe, but it is ok to question a faith just in a considerate manner.

• No, but not for the reason you'd think.

2 Corinthians 10:4-5 calls us to tear down strongholds and arguments against God, please read the actual verse, but what I'm trying to say is that he should not "not allow" the offending of others faith, becuase we should not be offensive to others faith as called by God to love our neighbors as ourselves. But are comanded by God to work through others arguments and point out flaws in hopes to lead them to Christ. So to recap, I agree that we should not be offensive, and I doesn't need to "not allowed" because as people of the faith we already should be showing love and not anger.

• Religion is an enemy to freedom

Religion is a completely externally imposed, logically dry, and insane part of the human consciousness. The freedom to mock all religions and religious beliefs is not just a right but a necessity if we are to move forward as a species. You cannot have 84% of a supposedly intelligent species being so deluded and brainwashed into comforting lies.
    Not only that, but religions, especially the Abrahamic ones, promote all sorts of barbaric behavior and violence. The more strictly and purely any of these religions are followed, the more violent the constituents will be. Case in point: Islam today is the one of the only religions that still expects its followers to practice the religion in its purest form, and it is also the religion responsible for the majority of today's religiously inspired violence and hate. Back when Christianity was strictly followed you had things like the Crusades and the Inquisition and stoning people to death. Religion is a universally harmful tool of oppression, not worthy of existing in any sane and intelligent population.

• No, we simply shouldn't want to

No one should want to offend anyone based on anything. However, what's offensive is very subjective. I could claim religions offend my 'faith' in the flying spaghetti monster. I could make up any ridiculous faith that pretty much deserves mockery and claim to be offended when I'm rightly told it's stupid.

Why doesn't this apply to intelligence? Is it wrong to offend faith, but fine to offend someone's intelligence? Faith often directly contradicts intelligence, so this leads to a very weird scenario. If I tell you your god doesn't exist, you could consider it offensive to your faith, but I consider that I'm simply not offending your intelligence or sense of reason by sharing my information.

• ABSOLUTELY NOT! Never!

In a very simple manner, he is Wrong. Why should I not question religion?? Is religion above society? Is religion above scrutiny? NO! When religion has some (almost all of it though) fault in it which it commits,why should its validity be not questioned?? Religion has to be criticized! Only then will people realize that it is not as perfect as it is thought to be...

• Flat out 100% wrong

Offending people, especially through humor, can be a useful tool in showing people the error of their ways, or how stupid what they believe looks from the outside. Not only that, but what is "offensive" is extremely subjective, some people take getting told "you're a liar" and "you suck" as Harassment. And further more, offense is taken not given

AND most importantly, religions, are ideas, not people, you can not "offend someones faith", and ridiculous ideas deserve mocking, and those who believe them, deserve ridicule. This is no different to laughing at someone who thinks the moon landing was fake, religion deserves no credence over other idiotic ideas.

• What kind of question is this?

We cannot judge whether someone would be offended by something we say or not. I may say something with completely innocent, yet someone may get offended, such as the KKK or Al-Qaeda.

Besides, it's not that we are 'allowed' to offend someone. We have the right to criticize ideas, and if someone gets offended by that, then there is nothing that we can do.

Also, if you restrict criticism against religious beliefs then you will need to restrict everything else that someone could say that may offend. Goodbye comedians! You no longer have a job, career, or income.

• Hurt Feelings do not negate Freedom of Speech

Freedom of speech guarantees people the right to say whatever is on their mind. Not whatever is on their mind unless it hurts people's feelings. Being offended is not a valid argument. I could say I'm offended by your religion. Would that mean you wouldn't be able to talk about your faith anymore? Of course not. Your beliefs don't give you immunity from mockery and criticism.

• This isn't about religion its about freedom of speech.

Ill be honest I feel like religion is a bad joke , im sure that offended many of you and many of your worlds you would have the comment taken down for the egregious injustice of someone taking abtiray offense .. But the world I live in is a America the land of the free and in the of the free I find absolutely appalling when I have to scale back my ideas , my feelings just so someone can feel comfortable. IN order for a democracy to survive we most have people opinions on the issues and how can we get their opinion when their oppents