Was Pussy Riot only detained just because the Olympics were going on?

• They cause lots of bad publicity for Russia

I am sure they were detained for that reason. The Russians were determined to do anything and everything to avoid any protests whilst the world was watching during the Olympics, and Pussy Riot are very unpredictable and media friendly. They were detained to prevent them doing anything to cause bad publicity to Russia.

• yes it was

Yes, I think that if the olympics had not been going on right then then they would have went ahead and let it go. I think that they wanted the country to look good and lood like it was in order so that the olympics would go a lot smoother.

• The Only Reason

I believe the only reason Pussy Riot was detained was to stop their performance at the Olympics and to keep them away from the events. Russia obviously doesn't want these girls opinions going out to the world and they're actively harassing them and trying to stop them from protesting in their own unique way. I like their concept, I wish we had something comparable in the United States to take on our government.

• Russia detains all dissenters.

No, Pussy Riot was not only detained just because the Olympics were going on, because Russia still imprisons its dissidents, whether there is an Olympics going on or not. If anything, the Olympics would have put pressure on them not to detain, because they knew that the world would be critically watching.

• Negative publicity for Russia

Pussy Riot were not detained because of the Olympics. If anything, this caused more attention to be brought to their cause, which is extremely negative publicity for Russia, already trying to play down their anti-gay laws and rumors that they were shooting stray animals on the streets for preparation for the games. This was likely to happen either way.