Was Salvador Allende in fact assassinated, rather than committing suicide?

• The military killed him.

Yes, Salvador Allende was in fact assassinated, rather than committing suicide, because the official version was that he was killed by suicide, but the official version was given by the military. The military had a reason to not want to tell the truth, because it made the transfer of power that much more palatable to the people.

• Salvador Allende was in fact assassinated, rather than committing suicide.

Salvador Allende was in fact assassinated, rather than committing suicide. I think that anything could have happened but I doubt that he would have committed suicide. I think maybe that it was set up to make people think that he did take his own life. There are doubts that he would do this.

• There is no conspiracy here.

Salvador Allende was not in fact assassinated, rather than committing suicide. This is because the evidence concluded it was suicide, and this is what people should believe. People are too prone to believe in conspiracy theories when often the truth just makes better sense. There is no reason to believe he was assassinated.

• No, Salvador Allende committed suicide.

The details of Salvador Allende's death were of great political importance to the opposing sides in Chile's 1973 military coup. Allende's supporters on the left maintained that he was assassinated, while Pinochet's supporters on the right maintained that he committed suicide before troops could reach him. The available evidence suggests that the latter is the case. The original autopsy in 1973 (as well as a renewed investigation in 2011) found the cause of death to be suicide. Allende's personal doctor confirmed the cause of death, and his family has not challenged the finding.

• No, Allende committed suicide.

I do not think that Salvador Allende was assassinated. I think that he committed suicide. There is no evidence to suggest that he did commit suicide instead of simply being assassinated. He had a lot of enemies and a lot of people had a reason to kill him. I think that was the cause of his death.