• Black power salute controversial

Although seen as a divisive and threatening gesture by many, the infamous Black power salute from the podium during the 1968 Olympics nevertheless served to bring racial tensions to the forefront of people's minds. It was a different time, socially, and it is difficult to condemn now that we live in more sensitive times.

• The Revolution Was Televised.

The 1968 Olympics was a true turning point for the civil rights movement. The fight had always been for equality of basic human rights, and recognition as a proud people. The Olympics created the perfect platform to also express the strength of all Americans, black or white. The Black Power salute symbolized to the world that African Americans would remain strong and proud.

• Yes, it brought the struggle front and center on the world stage

It is easy for those not born during the '60s to understand what people were going through and to judge harshly. Police brutality was rampant, discrimination was done openly in society and blacks were disproportionately being sent to prison. The athletes finally after being fed up, took a stand. They were performing and bringing glory to a country that degraded them when they were home. The world would finally see the truth and they did that day.

• Rewind to 1968- The Black Power Salute

The statement made by Tommie Smith and John Carlos during the '68 Olympics brought racial inequality in America to the global stage as well as the double standard that many Black Americans faced. As Tommie Smith stated "If I win, I am an American, not a black American. But if I did something bad, then they would say 'a Negro'. We are black and we are proud of being black."

• Was the Black Power salute in the 1968 Olympics a good idea?