Was the enslavement of Africans equal to hating them?

Asked by: Adam2
  • Yes it is. Let me explain.

The enslavement of Africans is equivalent to not seeing them as equals, but as inferior. That means the people that enslaved them despised their social status in life, and thus viewed them with disdain. That is equivalent to hating them, as perceiving them with contempt. This is a very evil, racist act and it definitely IS equivalent to hating them, despising them!

• It was more or less the cause of it.

When the Spanish first came to the Americas, they made the natives their slaves. It wasn't until the Dutch (?) came to America that they began bringing kidnapped Africans to be slaves. I'd imagine that after years and years of keeping Africans (and some Native Americans, but not as commonly in the Atlantic colonies) as slaves, people started to believe they were better than them. Unlike the person who started this opinion has said, racism started long before slavery was abolished, and Yankees, the English, the Danish, and the Swedish did not cause all the racism and bigotry in the world

• Yes because of the beliefs held

African Americans were enslaved because of the fact that they were a source of labor and were considered to be a race inferior to that of the white person. Unlike indentured servants, they were looked down upon with a sort of loathing and found fit to only work for the white man.

• Yes it is.

To enslave a race and beat them you would first have to believe that they are not human. Slavery is inhumane. Telling a human being that they are not a human and forcing them to work for you might as well be like killing them. Killing, beating, not being recognized as a human being, and everything else along those lines are a huge act of extreme hate. If you believe slavery is not an act of hate then you yourself are racist and hate the African-American race.

• Indentured servants volunteered

Not only did they agree to come with plans that were supposed to give them freedom in time. But after the race was emancipated, they proceeded to return to Africa and enslave the indigenous people using Western Plantation Methods. So any hatred they feel or want to stamp on the era they need to stamp on their ancestors foreheads as well. As far as I'm concerned they are self persecuting.

• Wrong but no

Enslavement was wrong but it's not the same thing as hating them. The people who enslaved Africans had nothing against them. They just wanted to make money or get free labor and thought "hey here's this opportunity". Most would've justified it by believing that they were inferior human beings but some slave traders may have not even needed to believe that in order to enslave them, as some would've only cared that they had an opportunity.

• It was messed up, but no

Racism became a problem throughout Yankeeland when the slaves were let free. The only connection slavery might have with racism is those who supported it for racists, but not all racists believed in slavery. They had others ways of oppressing others. Slavery has been around for a long time. In the case of England and Denmark, I will say that slavery was purely out of kidnapping, as opposed to the trades Holland and Spain did.

• Hate vs Convenience

Initially, when slavery was a big thing, it was all due to the need for more workers. Slave masters didn't hate their slaves, they simply just used them. Though their living conditions weren't tip top, that had no implications of dislike for Africans. It was until Africans became perceived as lesser that the hate really began. But their initial enslavement wasn't due to hate, but convenience. Cheap labor.

• It's still wrong

I don't think it was hate, but just simply due to the fact that black people were (wrongly) seen as being an inferor race. How did the white people of this time arrive to this conclusion? Well I don't believe it was the product of random hatred. I would argue that the ruling bourgeoise at the time already viewed themselves as being better then the proletariat, this narcissitic tendency, naturally led to them to believing that black serfs (and eventually all black people) in Africa were inferior (which of course is untrue). So no I would not say it was hate that caused slavery. Just the narcissism of middle class (the bourgeoise) white people from Europe.

• No. Hating was a consequence of enslavement.

By we you must meant Americans from the 16th century to the mid 19th century. We (as a continuous nation) as well as Europeans and Arabs practiced mass slavery in the past. In order for this to happen the human mind needs justifications. First you have to loose empathy for your fellow human so as when you see violence and injustice inflicted you are not affected. This requires a process called dehumanization. Then you have to assign them animal or vermin qualities so as to excuse the abuse. Finally you need a justification like the natural order of things, religion, or legal vindication i.e. "I have a God given right to own this property, they wouldn't even be able to feed themselves without me." This is part of the Nazi methods of getting a population to accept genocide.

The hatred is a result of this programming. It survived into past the civil rights but there is a generational shift in the type of mentality. I think hating would have led to leaving them alone or just killing them but enslavement was a result of profit and usefulness. We tried enslaving Native Americans first including exporting them up to 30,000 to 50,000. Initially they were both indentured servants but the Indian population began a massive decline and Blacks became to known as "slaves for life" after a legal battle involving a black man enslaving another black man. Progressively slave laws became more inhumane and cruel. There some slave revolts in plantations and this scared Whites into enacting tougher slave laws. There was always a fear that slaves would rise up against their masters and this drove a lot of the hate we associate from that era. However this became more paradoxically that slaves became more profitable and plantations grew as well as the cruelty and hatred Whites felt towards Blacks.

Keep in mind that in feudal societies in Europe the landlord basically owned the serfs born on his land. European societies had a class based society determined by birth (nobility and lesser titles). This was applied into the Americas based on race. Noble Europeans saw peasants in much the same way racists view members of other races do now. The Irish and British had deep seated animosity for each other back when race was a term for nationality. The "Irish or Catholic race" was seen as scientifically incompatible with the "English or Protestant" race, that explained the violence.

• No, it was a far greater problem than hate

No, I don't think it equated to hate, although I think hate was the eventual and inevitable outcome of the practice of enslaving humans. I think that it was actually worse than hate; it was the assumption that a fellow man was less than human because of skin color or culture. As some have stated, some evil men simply viewed slavery as an opportunity to make money. I believe it probable that some slave owners actually did not hate their slaves, but they did view them as property, much like a draft animal or a pet. Given a choice I believe I would have preferred to have been hated rather than viewed as less than human. At some point I'm certain that fear might even become a factor as the number of slaves began to increase. It ended with hate but it started with greed and ignorance, a terrible ignorance of the true value of men and women.

Adam2 says2014-01-06T23:56:02.300
I should have said equals racism, as they did hate their slaves for being not Christian. My mistake