Was the House Oversight Committee justified in charging former IRS official Lois Lerner with contempt?

• Contempt Charges by the House Oversight Committee Are Justified.

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee voted last week to hold Lerner in contempt stating that she waived her Fifth Amendment rights but continued to hinder the committees investigation into the IRS targeting scandal. Lerner is wrong in thinking she can exercise her Fifth Amendment rights but still make statements regarding the IRS scandal, and the Committee is completely justified in charging her with contempt.

• Yes, but I think there is more to this story.

Yes, I believe the House Oversight Committee had no choice but to charge Lois Lerner with contempt since she refused to testify. However, I think that she probably may be in a position where she really can't testify and will end up paying the price for it in the end.

• Yes They Were

I believe the House Oversight Committee was justified in charging former IRS official Lois Lerner with contempt. She refused to testify and that is a huge problem in my opinion. People shouldn't take up these positions if they can't stand up and speak about them. Lois Lerner should be charged.

• She has her reasons.

No, the House Oversight Committee was not justified in charging former IRS official Lois Lerner with contempt, because she had good reasons for not wanting to testify. A person still has a right against self-incrimination, even if that right is exercised on a national scale. She had a right to protect her own interests.