Was the Japanese-American internment justified?

Asked by: Gaerteuth
  • If Mexico had attacked us we'd have put all the Mexicans in camps too.

But these days sending millions of criminal over a porous border doesn't mean anything. Laws? We don't need no stinking laws. In the case of the Japanese, those were actually citizens, and undoubtedly a lot of innocent people were rounded up, but that's the sacrifice you make when you're living in America during a war against (a country that attacked US) Undoubtedly at least a few Japanese spies were rounded up in the process, and a few men can do a lot of damage to America, as we learned on 9-11.

• Internment camps were not fair but were justified.

Japanese people had access to important US places. For example, Japanese were near the US naval base, shipyards and oil wells. They could easily get information and help Japan. In general, people help and support their homeland. Some spies were helping Japan, but the US wasn't sure who was innocent and who was not. It would take to much time to interview every single Japenese person to find out who was guilty. Besides, the US couldn't risk skipping over someone. The only reasonable thing to do was to have all Japanese move to isolated and carefully watched areas. Here, they would have no opportunity to contact Japan. These camps were not ideal seemed to be the temporary solution. No one deserves to have their rights stripped away from them, but during wars, horrible things happen.

• I didn't understand at first.

When I was younger I thought that if someone's rights were taken away due to a cause their culture or people have done was unfair and is still unfair. It took me awhile to understand why the United States did it. It was 120,000 citizens against millions of others. What they did to their own citizens was cruel but in the end no one died. They had to eliminate the threat and they did by putting them to internment camps.

• Was it constitutional no was justified yes.

The interment of the Japanese was not, by any means right constitutionally or by our moral standards today right. But that is one of the biggest issues, we are judging it by today's standards. I definitely wasn't at the attack on Pearl Harbor, or alive during WWII and I don't know anyone that was. But if a country were to attack the US right now and we didn't know who to trust, there would be chaos. Before the Japanese were relocated to the camps, what do you think was happening to them in their home towns. People were scared of another attack, there was a lot of hate going towards the Japanese. So moving them to camps, though not easy, probably saved more than it hurt. Another example is that when they returned home. Houses were robbed, vandalized, and sometimes worse. So getting them away from that fear, I would say helped them.
    And its not like stuck them in holes with nothing. They still had schools, jobs, food, shelter, were allow to visits other camps, and even go hiking. Some even enlisted into the armed forces and fought for their country. They had things that may have been hard to deal with yes, but they had it real easy compared to other camps around the world.
    So no it wasn't constitutional, but i would say it was justified.

• It was completely justified

The whole goal was to protect the people. Most people think it's better to take one mans life over thousands. It's the same deal here. Take 120,000 Japanese live away-which wasn't even bad because the camps they were in were fantastic compared to any other camps around the world; plus they got $20,000 compensation-for millions of American lives.

• It was completely justified

• The Japanese were evil

Look how the Japanese treated the Chinese killing and raping millions of civilians. Look at the way the Japanese treat their POWs... Where soldiers are more likely to die as POWs with the Japanese than with the Nazis. I think it was absolutely justifiable, and is nothing compared to what Japan did to non combatants. The Japanese got what they deserved and as people should be ashamed of their ancestors.

• I think it is justified

I think the United States was protecting the country (people ) . I think that its was difficult ,but The United States was protecting itself from another attack . And I think that Japan did not think of its people who live here in the United States, so I think the action is justified, because it is better for a few years of suffering that the United States or the people who live here do not have freedom. I know God does not like it but it's the way we live

• It was not so bad

The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which caused damage to three cruisers, three destroyers, an anti-aircraft training ship, and one minelayer (all U.S. property). 188 U.S. aircraft were destroyed; 2,403 Americans were killed and 1,178 others were wounded. If it were me, I would search all Japanese on the West Coast and bring them in for questioning, which is exactly what the United States did. The internment was not bad at all! Sure they had some family members die, but that is a small price to pay for the safety of the rest of the country. While in those internment camps they had housing, food, payed labor, free groups and classes, and more! Even though they didn't get gourmet meals or the best housing systems, they lived free off of the government. At around the same time there were concentration camps killing millions of jewish people as well as other religions! This is nothing in comparison.

Also while in the camps, the Japanese had an option to choose their allegiance. Some didn't want to be loyal to the United States, while others did and proved it by serving in the military. Even once everyone was free they STILL got 20,000 PER FAMILY as compensation.

So the Japanese had an advantage, they lived off of the government, had jobs with pay, free meals (even finding ways to get multiple portions), free housing, free recreational groups, freedom to go to other camps or even hike in the nearby places, and even got $20,000 for doing all of that!!!

The Japanese internment WAS justified, and was necessary for keeping other saboteurs out of the way to keep America safe from more damage.

• Aren't we still speaking English?

The internment of the Japanese was very justified because of the simple fact that if we had left them running around in America you would never know what would happen. Its not like we tortured them like they did us in Japan... Would you rather write an apology letter to a Japanese family for moving to a safe facility to closely watched, or write a letter to a mother telling her that her little boy had been killed by a Japanese spy?

• It clearly violates the Constitutional mandate of due process, as mentioned in the 5th amendment.

To say that they Government has the right to detain you in a camp simply on the basis of your ethnicity, when you have not violated the rights of others, is taking our life and liberty away from us.

This applied to all Japanese-Americans, even if they were born in the United States. That means the Government could detain American citizens on the basis of where their parents were born. That is inexcusable to the citizens of a Constitutional Republic.

• Having your grandparents born in the incorrect country is not grounds for internment without due process.

Even in a time of war, it's incredibly, incredibly racist to claim to have the grounds to intern people becomes they look Japanese.

If you believe you have rights of ANY kind, you are deceived. If a nation can simply declare war and then have consummate power over it's people, then its apparent why the United States gets into wars so often.

• Not at all!!!!

1.They weren't questioned
    2. Violation of Constitution
    3. They were citizens
    4. People died at the camps as well
    5. Some of these people never saw Japan.
    6. It was also during the Jim Crow Laws
    7. (for me personally) I'm Hispanic and DACA ended.
    SO NO! THIS INTERMENT WAS NOT JUSTIFIED!

• I didn't understand at first.

• No no no

People put these Japanese families behind bars all because they looked like the japanese who harmed the US. They were Americans to. Born and raised here. Would you like that if you were them??? I bet that you would not. They did nothing wrong. Some did not even see JApanese.

• No no no

• No no no

• No way. They made a bad choice

They had no right sending innocent people into these camps. People that lived in america for their entire lives forced into camps, not even camps, prisons. These camps were brutal too. The food was horrible and it was always hot. The barracks had no protection from dust storms, and it was always dirty inside the camps.

• Complete violation of rights

Japan was not the only enemy of the U.S. during World War 2. Germany and other European countries were also enemies of the U.S. during World War 2. Since they were our enemies too why wasn’t there German internment camps or internment camps for people who have European decent. If there was, all of the people saying that this was justified would have a different take. The Germans killed way more people and soldiers than the Japanese did. There is a difference between Japanese soldiers from Japan and 127,000 innocent Japanese Americans that are U.S. CITIZENS.

• Dear JustCheNo's comment

When the Germans could have attacked the US from the east, none of the German Americans were put in internment camps. They were allowed to stay free and most likely weren't even questioned!!! So, in conclusion, placing Japanese Americans in internment camps was unjust. I mean they could have at least made their stay comfortable. In propaganda, they lied about how the JAs felt about the internment camps. Why would they have to lie if they were justified in their actions. So yes this is my argument, and my intentions are not to roast you or put you down, your opinion is just as good as mine. I am merely stating my point of view.

Anonymous says2013-06-25T17:50:09.777
Go here and then decide who was right and who was wrong:

http://home.Comcast.Net/~eo9066/Intro.Html

It's not as easy as a simple Yes or No.