Was Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday the best performance ever in a western movie?

Asked by: Maxwell61
  • The real lead man of OK corral

Steals every scene he's in during tombstone. There nobody who could've did a better job than him. The most intimating sick skinny guy n would never bet against. Plays the part to perfection. By far my favorite bad-ass in any movie. Once in a lifetime role. Everyone else are Huckleberries

• Natural for this role

All the characters meshed well together but Val was Doc he was the character with loyalty passion strength and a friend till the end.Eho didn't want to be the fastest gun slinger like Doc Holliday?.Wyat Earp was his real friend and he didn't have a lot of friends tearjerker friendship

• Natural for this role

• Natural for this role

• Absolutely the best

When you think about the movie tombstone the first thing anybody does is quote a doc holiday saying. To me that means he stood out to everybody that watched the movie.Kurt Russel was also good but val kilmer stole it with his epic performance as doc holiday so " say when"

• Great work on Tombstone

This performance is legendary and lifted this movie to the height of popularity it still enjoys today. Like others who have responded, I feel Kilmer's performance is on a par with Victor Mature's Holiday in the film, My Darling Clementine. You remember both, but you remember Kilmer's more. Good stuff.

• Great work on Tombstone

• Doesn't anyone have the guts to play for blood! "I'm your huckleberry, why that's just my game" nuff said

There were a lot of "badasses" everywhere in tombstone, but even the best of the best backed off when sickly old doc challenged them. The coyboys were not afraid of anyone, cept doc. Even Ringo, the baddest of the the bad got "all shook up" when he was gonna have to fight doc.

• Doc Holiday is definitely the best western character in the genre but only played by Val Kilmer.

He nailed every aspect of Doc, plus overshadowed the leading actor. He made everyone root for him and his friends. I also believe it was Val Kilmers best role of his career. One of the best performances ever. His performance is what makes me watch this movie every time it is on.

• With out a doubt

To have to act out a legendary character in history and be able to do such a memorable performance, that his acting is the single biggest thing that people remember about the movie speaks for its self.

The best ever maybe not, but it's in the argument which says a lot for a modern era western.

• I know this debate is old news but..

Heck NO! Two words. Clint Eastwood. Nuff said. Man with no name, Josey Wales, William Munney from Unforgiven. Even if you somehow cut out all Clint, Tuco from the good, the bad, and the ugly is one of the greatest characters ever!

Dig this line if you aren't convinced of Tuco:

[Tuco is in a bubble bath. A One Armed Man enters the room]
    I've been looking for you for 8 months. Whenever I should have had a gun in my right hand, I thought of you. Now I find you in exactly the position that suits me. I had lots of time to learn to shoot with my left.

(Tuco kills him with a gun he has hidden in the foam, BLAM, BLAM, BLAM!)

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

That right there sums it up.

• Probably not but...........

It was certainly one of the great western performances if for nothing more than memorable quotes.

There have just been so many good roles that it would be very difficult to say that he was the "best" ever. Clint Eastwood as Josie Wales and Will Munny in Unforgiven have to be up there. John Wayne usually played just "John Wayne" but The Shootist and True Grit were great performances that can stand up to any western and arguably Wil Andersen in The Cowboys. Then there was Alan Ladd in Shane and even alongside Kilmer in Tombstone was a great job by Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp.

Val Kilmer's character as Doc Holiday was one of the great western performances... But the "Best" ever? Too many good ones to say that.

thg says2013-08-17T06:54:04.443
Definitely a great performance..."I'm your huckleberry...That's just my game...Say when..."
rja7 says2013-08-24T02:23:00.990
Don't know about best..Most captivating definitely!...I thought clint in unforgiven was pretty good to..Especially for clint.