Were the atrocities committed by the Nationalist forces in the Spanish Civil War more brutal than those committed by the Republicans?

• The attrocities were horrible

The attrocities committed by the Nationalist forces in the Spanish civil war were more brutal than those committed by the Republicans. The nationalist forces committed unspeakable acts of violence against a large segment of the population. The group was also defenseless against what the forces used against them at that time.

• The Nationalists Forces

I personally think that atrocities committed by both sides, the Nationalists and the Republicans, are very subjective and it is difficult to side with one being worse, during the Spanish Civil War. I believe the actions of war are hard to justify for either side outside the context that it was a time of war.

• No one walked away without blood on their hands

The Spanish Civil War was an outright humanitarian nightmare no matter which side one may be personally inclined to, in hindsight, support. Republicans murdered thousands of people including many thousand Catholic priests for no other reason than political disagreement. True, the Republicans murdered only half the number that the Nationalists did - and the Nationalists were no less brutal or political in their rationale - but that does not forgive either side.

• They were both horrifying.

There is no way for me, after examining the evidence, to say that either the Nationalists or the Republicans were more or less brutal than the other side. As the saying goes, war is hell. Each side wants to prevail, and when you get to the point where it becomes war, no one comes away with clean hands.

• It Is Doubtful

I believe atrocities committed by both sides, the Nationalists and the Republicans, are very subjective and it is difficult to side with one being worse, during the Spanish Civil War. I believe the actions of war are hard to justify for either side outside the context that it was a time of war.