What do you think of talking to someone you barely know (psychologist) about your problems: Cool (yes) or uncool (no)? Why?

Asked by: Adam2
  • An outside person can give privacy, wisdom and a different perspective

As a pastor I often listen to people talk about things that bother them.
    I see many benefits to the people:
    1. Telling their story (problem, issue) helps them to get it clear in their own head.
    2. As I ask questions they often sort out the issues on their own.
    3. When I focus on "What are you going to DO next?" they often feel less intimidated by the problem because they have an action plan or next step they really can work on.
    4. They get it off their chest with a person who is not going to judge them or betray their privacy.

As well as these things that any good listener can do there are the benefits of high level training in the psychology and spiritual aspects of their concerns.
    Because I have 30 years of experience in this, I have heard many similar stories and have seen how they can work out. Probably my biggest point of learning through the years has been that I should not tell them "what I would do." Any counselor who tells you "what they would do in your situation" runs the risk of expecting you to be like them in the things that motivate you, and in your abilities.
    I have a retired mentor that I go to for wisdom, prayer and advice who has been a friend for 10 years now. I still go to my mom (She has her Ph.D. In an educational field) for wisdom and prayer, but not all families have such great resources within the family.
    I have one warning about psychologists and counselors: Find one that is well recommended by someone old enough to have seen the results of their work for a long time. There are so many bad psychologists and counselors that you don't want to just hope the one you contact is good.

P.S. My youngest daughter is training to be a clinical psychologist, and my oldest daughter trains counselors.

• If they're a professional, that's their job

Everyone with a consciousness needs an outlet. Sometimes friends aren't the best outlets, and certainly strangers aren't, but a professional in this capacity is built to handle all of your personal woes and fears. Of course it's cool to see a psychologist, nearly everyone probably needs one. We don't wear our insecurities on our sleeves, but they exist.

• So much easier

I've spent some time talking to a therapist about anxiety and low self esteem and I found it a lot easier talking to someone I do not know because it's not going to make a relationship or friendship awkward (because there was never one to begin with). It's also a good way to get an unbiased perspective on your problem. Plus, therapists have PhDs in human behavior and plenty of experience with patients so they will be able to know the root of your problem better than a family member/ teacher/ friend etc.

• No I don't think its cool at all..

Why should we explain our problems to someone we don't know. It really doesn't help a lot of people and may cause more problems then it actually helps. This is what makes people so insecure and afraid to stand up for themselves. They have family or a trusted friend they turn to. People need to tough up and take care of themselves and learn how to protect themselves. This can help them out and show them that they can handle things for themselves. Maybe going through this they can end up helping other friends and family out in the process.