What is the best rant you can come up with that promotes atheism (yes) or theism (no)?

Asked by: reece
  • To be a christian this is what you must believe

Let's say that the consensus is that our species, being the higher primates, Homo Sapiens, has been on the planet for at least 100,000 years, maybe more. Francis Collins (a devout christian) says maybe 100,000. Richard Dawkins (a devout atheist) thinks maybe a quarter-of-a-million. I'll take 100,000. This is what you have to believe In order to believe in the Abrahmic God, for 98,000 years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about 25 years, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery, not knowing how disease spread or what earthquakes or storms were all of that for 98,000 years.
    The heaven watches this with complete indifference. And then 2000 years ago, thinks 'That's enough of that. It's time to intervene,' and the best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the Middle East. Don't lets appeal to the Chinese, for example, where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization. Let's go to the desert and have another revelation there. This is nonsense. It can't be believed by a thinking person.
    And what's more after this event we are giving no more revelations, no more evidence of his existence nothing at all; and it all comes from a baseless claim in a well known contradictory book which has no historical credibility. And we are meant to believe this as absolute fact.

Posted by: hect
  • One is explained with reason the other is explained with faith.

Being an atheist isn't a choice or act of will - like theism, it's a consequence of what one knows and how one reasons. Claims about faith can be used to justify and defend absolutely anything on an equal — and equally unreasonable — basis. Faith is also an unreliable and irrational basis for singling out one religion and claiming that it is true while all other religions, as well as any competing secular philosophies, are false.

• The more you know...

The more we know about the world, the less places god/god's have left to hide. Though atheists are not playing hide and seek with gods. Some of us just want to find the truth, you can't find truth with faith. Religious Faith is what leads to conflict, not just with bloodshed, but with yourself. We need to learn to accept what nature is telling us instead of imposing our beliefs on nature. Progress is all about breaking from tradition, and embracing innovation. How can humanity progress, when people follow beliefs that arose from (talking about one religion in particular) Iron Age peasants who didn't even know that earth orbited the sun?

• Faith servers an entirely different purpose than science. Faith isn't about facts, which is why it's called 'faith.'

"I'd rather believe in god and be wrong than not believe and be wrong."
    Agnosticism/theistic evolutionism would be your safest bet. I believe everything happens for a reason, and that having faith truly does work. I believe that there's a God and that despite our faults, he loves each and every one of us. While I was an atheist, I felt like anyone who believed in a higher power was an utter moron. Like, there's not scientific evidence, so why believe in something so trivial? One day, something really bad happened and I decided to pray. I wasn't sure who I was praying to, but I decided to continue with it every night for the next few weeks. Day by day I felt the weight of my regrets, my fears, and my downfalls slowly lift off of me until they were minuscule specks in the graves of my mind. Me reading about the laws of thermodynamics didn't make me feel any better, but praying did. My point is, science and faith serve different purposes, and one without the other perpetuates a void (at least in me). I find comfort in knowing that an omnipresent and ubiquitous being loves me, and that science could never and will not ever be able to fill that place in my mind and in my soul. I find comfort in knowing that science has helped us evolve as humans and taught us valuable knowledge about the world in which we all live. The Bible is NOT a reliable source of scientific knowledge about the origin of the earth and the universe, including living things—because it was never intended to teach us about science. The Bible IS a reliable source of knowledge about God and spiritual things. Scientific evidence is irrelevant to the Bible—it is simply not a science book.
    The creation story in Genesis 1 is a confession of faith in the true creator, intended to refute pantheism and polytheism, not to tell us how God actually created the world. The Bible tells us THAT God created, not how God created. I don't believe the faith and religion conflict in any sense. Sue me.

Posted by: XOXX
  • People have different opinions.

Everybody has there own opinions and beliefs that we base our life around. I don't think we will ever be able to prove one or another because we can't physically see what happened in the past and we never will be able to. I cannot prove that God exists and you cannot prove that he doesn't exist. I believe that he does exist and I cannot prove it. You may believe in evolution but were you or anyone else there to witness and record it? No. Thus I feel that we should be able to freely share our opinions with others and let them decide for themselves. Nothing should be taught as fact when in reality, nobody knows the answer.

Posted by: XOXX