WhatsApp backdoor allows snooping on encrypted messages. Should the government require tech companies to comply with certain security requirements?

• Yes, I think there should be security requirement.

The reason there should be security requirements is for our safety. Yes, it is nice to have privacy, but it is more important for the government to keep us safe. I think if the government encrypts something that is just private and unharmful they should just let it go and not say anything. But I think it is important for a terroristic reason so that if something is about to happen the government can catch it before anything tragic happens.

• Yes, privacy should be protected.

In this information age, privacy has become a serious issue. In this era where details of a person's life, personal, professional, and financial, are stored by a myriad of businesses and agencies, internet security is vital. The recent hacks related to the election and Wikileaks should make that abundantly clear.

• Yes I think they should comply

Although in an ideal world I would disagree with this sort of thing, as we stand I think they should comply with certain security requirements. The threat from terrorism especially is too high. Getting access to just one or two messages could trigger enough to stop the next 9/11, so for that reason I think tech companies should comply, but it's a shame we are in this situation.

• I think certain security requirements should be enforced

Backdoor apps that are not fully secure should be banned or put on hold until security is tightened. Violations of privacy can happen as a result that could lead to more serious problems for citizens. It should be mandatory to have a minimum security level on apps sold to the general public.

• It should be buyer beware.

Today, people know that things are not safe on the internet. There should be other ways to communicate than with encrypted messages over the internet. Even Trump says that people should just use people to deliver messages more often. A lot of times, people use encryption to do bad things, so there shouldn't be special protection for it.