When a source has become known as credible, does the populace become credulous to the information they provide, and apathetic to refuting the source?

Asked by: Apparelled
  • I believe yes.

I have my reasons for believing this, and I do not want to state my reasons until I have seen what others perceive. I only say this because I want an un biased answer from people, and not responses that refute my reasons. And for any that agree with my statement, i also want to see if hold the same reasonings.

• Human behavior at it's finest

Our brains spend a lot of time and energy trying to make sense of the world around us. Once a person is set in their worldview, they seek out things that coincide with it to give them a sense of ease. Just a little bit of control in an ever chaotic world.

• If we're speaking in terms of majority, then yes.

From what I've seen, most people, most of the time are either too lazy or too...Trusting (For lack of a better word) for them to go out and find the answers for themselves.
    When a source becomes known as "Credible" people often find it easier to just accept its word as law, refusing to openly question it (Perhaps out of fear of being told they're wrong or simply because they don't like the idea of being in a position of conflict.)

Then again, when a source that was once deemed as credible is suddenly proved wrong, people are far too quick to say "I told you so." or "I knew it." rather than accept the fact that they were wrong and fell victim to apathy.

...Though I'm probably just being overly critical of people in general (And, as I said before, this certainly doesn't apply to everyone, or else we would still be living in caves.)