When people die, do their souls go straight to heaven/hell, according to the Bible?

Asked by: Mr.Moves3
  • Half and Half

This is a hard one. When you die, you go to the judgement place. There, God determins if you may enter the kingdom of God (if you're a believer) or not (a non-believer).
    Matthew 7:22-23 "On judgement day many will say to me 'Lord, Lord! We prophesied you name and performed many miracles in your name.' But I will reply, 'I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God's law.'"
    Only those who learn/do their Christian ABC can enter heaven, else they are doomed to hell.
    A=Admit you are a sinner
    B=Believe that Jesus is God's son
    C=Confess you're sins and ask for forgivness

• There washed first

To get them nice and clean , some souls resist all detergents and are very hard to clean , rumour has it heaven is getting an upgrade new soul washing machines etc . So it's all looking good for the future there also working on new soul cleaning techniques ... Interesting times

• So says the Catechism

Since Protestant arguments have been used, here's a Catholic perspective from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1021 – Death puts an end to human life as the time open to either accepting or rejecting the divine grace manifested in Christ. The New Testament speaks of judgment primarily in its aspect of the final encounter with Christ in his second coming, but also repeatedly affirms that each will be rewarded immediately after death in accordance with his works and faith. The parable of the poor man Lazarus and the words of Christ on the cross to the good thief, as well as other New Testament texts speak of a final destiny of the soul--a destiny which can be different for some and for others.

1035 – The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire." The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

• Cuz it is

Cdscdv scdvsvcf cdc csd sdcsfv fsddr f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f ff f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f ff f fef f rwdf`

• Cuz it is

• When people die their bodies go straight to their destination.

According to the bible it states that when a person passes on they will go to one of two places, heaven or hell. The one who chooses this is God because he is the one true authority figure who judges everyone. So depending on if you've been good or bad is where he chooses for you to go. However, it also states god forgives anyone who asks to be forgiven. So there is no way to tell that if when we pass we are allowed to ask for forgiveness and allow passage to heaven.

• The Catholic Idea of Purgatory (Made Well-Known by Dante)

To start this off, I am an Atheist. However I will cast that aside in order to use more sources to make a decision than simply saying," The Bible is outdated and false." My main contention Dante Alighieri's 14th century epic poem, "The Divine Comedy." This piece of literature consists of three sections: Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso. I will be using the concept of Purgatorio to argue my case. Purgatory is a Roman Catholic belief in which the souls of people who die are made pure through suffering before going to Heaven. According to Dante's epic journey, in Purgatory people are purged of their mental sins. Some of these are the seven deadly sins: Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, and Pride.

• People's souls doesn't go straight to their destination when they died.

When a person died, the soul doesn't go straight to their certain destinations yet. Souls will be determined if they are going to either heaven or hell when Jesus Christ returns. There is no one that's in the Kingdom of Heaven yet, besides Jesus Christ and the angels. When Jesus returns to Earth, everyone will be resurrected. Souls will go through the 1000 years of judgment. To determine whether they should go to heaven or hell. Also, the capture of satan will also occur during these events.

• Biblcally speaking throughout the old testament heaven and hell are not mentioned upon death. In the new testament it is mainly written about by Paul.

Whenever Jesus speaks of death he speaks of sleep. When on the cross and he said to the man, ssuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise. Now this is misinterpreted. He said you will be with me in paradise, he said you "will" will is actually not a present tense word. Most people think it is. Will is future tense. The future can mean from seconds, to centuries. So upon death you sleep. Biblically speaking it is logical.

• No, you don't go anywhere right away.

The Eastern Orthodox view is that, for the first nine days, your soul is still on earth, among your family and friends. After those nine days, you begin a journey to either heaven or hell. It is not comparable to the idea of Catholic purgatory. It is not "cleansing" or anything, it is just a journey. A difficult journey, but you see glimpses of hope along the way. On the 40th day after death, you arrive at your destination. This is, at least, what I was taught. I don't think the Bible says anything about it directly, but it is ancient tradition.

• Does it even exist?

How do you know that so called, "heaven" even exists? Yes, it said in a book written 2000 years ago but how do you know the Bible is valid? You could argue that faith is the reason but faith is really just hope, hope for something bigger and something beyond our life on Earth. How do you even know there is such thing as a soul? You don't. It was made up to give people happy thoughts for after death.

Jakeross6 says2013-10-04T02:01:20.203
Mr.Moves, You and I would have a glorious debate about the nature of God.
Contejour says2013-10-04T16:56:09.683
Oh dear mr move's believe me no disrespect I have done it to death , and now I just love to have fun I find it so funny how people get so annoyed , there's humour in everything my friend .