Which is better: District 9 (yes) vs. Avatar (no)?

Asked by: Babeslayer
  • District 9 by a long shot.

Lots of people make the argument that they're the same movie, but they're really not. Sure, they both have that same basic formula that Dances with Wolves has, but that's not why I have a problem with Avatar and love District 9. For me, a film has to be a good film on it's own, other films or things like that are never a factor for me. District 9 has a great soundtrack, some of the best CGI in film, fantastic performances, and aliens that had a great sense of humanity to them. Avatar on the other hand is a poorly acted, really obvious (the natives were mistreated), fairly racist (the natives were mistreated until the white man saves them), and the CGI wasn't convincing.

My obvious message thing back there is an argument a lot of people use against D9, that it was obviously about the apartheid. Well that's where you're wrong. While it is true that the apartheid is one of the messages in D9 (maybe the main message) it's not the only one. It also includes messages about earning freedom, strength, illegal experimentation, and how we would really react if we found aliens. The film has an inherent truth to the fact that we would be very cruel to the aliens, and no-matter how they treat us, we're a race that attacks in the sight of new things. Meanwhile, Avatar has no message beyond "we were mean to natives until a white guy turned into one of them and f***ed them with his ponytail."

• District 9 rocks

District 9, of course. Avatar only looked pretty with lots of lights. The characters were dull, thanks to the lazy script. Even if it was the same "White guy turns messiah" thing like others of its kind, it was still executed rather boringly. The Na'vi didn't have anything really unique about them other than been able to connect their minds to that of animals--which to me just seemed to be convenient for riding animals and shooting at the same time.
    District 9, however, brought to the table a more realistic interpretation of human and alien contact,; how we would deal with them, how they would deal with us, the laws that would imposed them to keep us in power, how the aliens would be forced to live as a result and they would be forced to retaliate, in a more believable way. Plus it had lot more action, unique sci-fi weapons and aliens that were actually alien in appearance and behavior.

• District 9, of course.

Avatar only looked pretty with lots of lights. The characters were dull, thanks to the lazy script. Even if it was the same "White guy turns messiah" thing like others of its kind, it was still executed rather boringly. The Na'vi didn't have anything really unique about them other than been able to connect their minds to that of animals--which to me just seemed to be convenient for riding animals and shooting at the same time.

• You can't really compare them.

District 9 had a well thought plot, a realistic setting, good actors, and credible special effects. All of it nicely combined in the right amount to make the movie a worthy way of spending an evening.
    Now, avatar did not have that feeling at all. Did those trees have wireless Internet? Where did they get the electricity? How did it benefit them? It did benefit the cat-smurfs, but how did it benefit the trees themselves? It does not make any evolutionary sense. For something to show up in a whole species, it has to benefit them.
    There is also the social acceptance the smurfs showed for what they knew was not one of them (the main character while wearing his "avatar"), but an alien. How is that realistic?
    I get that this is a fantasy movie, but for it to be good, it has to be believable.
    Also, all of their animals were mixes of animals we have in our own planet. No creativity there.
    There is the issue of the smurf's culture, also. It had a suspiciously earthy feeling in it. As they are in another planer, you would think their whole culture would be completely different from what we could encounter here.
    Finally, the whole setting was an excuse for 3d explosions, tons of them. Even if they are striking, they can't turn a bad movie into a good one.

Posted by: Rafe
  • All Avatar had were good special effects

I will admit that each movies made interesting points on human morality; yet I enjoyed District 9'sstory line much more entertaining. The entire premise of a alien species being stranded on earth, and humanities reaction to them really made me think about we react to outsiders. As for Avatar, I see the point the producers were trying to make about environmental destruction, but the message didn't strike me with same force as District 9's did.

• In terms of content District 9 most definitely

While I did enjoy Avatar to a degree. Overall its extremely hollywood. I honestly do not believe that after being able to travel to various regions of space that they would be so pro-war and ready to attack first. Especially considering how much it would really cost just to go and venture out. Hell we'd be more likely to be at war with ourselves before that happened.

That's why District 9 is better. Personally as a movie, it isn't one that I'd watch again, of course I wouldn't watch avatar again either, at least not on my own time ,but there is no doubt that its much more realistic. It considers the various problems of overpopulation and a huge conflict of cultures. Much of it actively considers the "what if" of the situation. One aspect such as the huge amount of propaganda that would develop from miscommunication. In which the government would probably try to keep them in order to learn of their technology.
    While i could go on, simply put, District 9 makes you really think about issues that ,while tackle an alien race, are actually very much real world issues. Avatar on the other hand is more for the visual effects and enjoyment which in my opinion is not that great as its a predictable story and very simliar to others stories such as Pochahontas.... The disney version anyways....

• Avatar was better

Avatar was more realistic and believable, and the themes that run throughout it were very effective. Sure, district 9 had special effects, but avatar had better one's. Avatar also captivates you when you watch it. You are drawn into the movie and can't wait to see what happens next. Unless you are a politician or someone who is interested in the history of South Africa, you were basically just waiting for the movie to end the whole time. Avatar also brought the concept of racism and destruction of those who you believe to be inferior into light. It appeals to almost any audience in the sense that the violence wasn't particularly gruesome and the "tough" characters were portrayed as tough without swearing in every second sentence. In district 9, the language and the level of gruesome scenes is overwhelming to the average viewer. It should never be shown to children. Avatar can be an example to any audience, of any age, and bring across the same message with far less graphical representations of horrible violence.

• No, Avatar was more realistic.

No, District 9 was not better than Avatar, because Avatar had animation that looked real, and it was just more believable overall. Avatar also had an interesting plot line, which made the movie interesting to a lot of people, rather than just showing off a bunch of special effects that only appeals to certain people.