Which is more fulfilling in both the short and long term? Atheism (Yes)? Or Christianity (No)?

Asked by: Gallader20
  • I live my life knowing that I won't be judged by a magical sky god

And that's all I ask out of life.
    I know that I only have one life, and that makes it more precious and forces me to make the most out of it. I also know that I have no reason (like God) to hate and persecute others because they are different from me, so I don't act ignorant of other people (there is no legitimate excuse to have, or anything disguised as one.)
    Also I don't live in fantasy so I can face harsh realities of the world better, and won't hurt as badly.
    Sundays are lazy days.
    You can relax without worries as an Atheist, something you won't get from religion.

• Whether He exists or not....

There's a lesson to be learned. He is not to be tested, He is not to be bargained with. He's not merciful, nor is He patient. You do as He says to the letter and without hesitation, and hope He doesn't harden your heart or command you to strike your brethren and sestras down.

Bullocks to that. I prefer the idea that we created Him and used Him as an excuse to control one another. Originally it was not for the sake of control in itself, but in order to better guide and understand the world around us.

Adults aren't very curious by nature. They do what they must to survive. The second generation though. They're provided for. They ask questions. They wonder why things are as they are. So, to answer those questions when we don't know ourselves we made someone up.

After several hundred of years of trial and error we begin to realize that we can benefit more alongside each other than pitted against one another for some obsolete tool that serves more of a tarnished symbol (a distraction) than a solution.

Actually that tool might still be necessary for now. I would like people to be good people because they want to and not because it's convenient. I also don't want them to lose hope, because they're looking at the micro-scale. So if they need that, then fine, but in the long run It's better to understand that WE pulled through. WE earned our own survival. We were not given or granted it. We live by our own right and not the passing whim of some other-worldly being.

I needed to fail once to know I was imperfect. I needed to try once to know things can change. I needed to succeed once to know I am perfect. And I consider us equals.

• I am not religious, but my best friend is....

Christianity has more followers ever since it started. http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/mayweb-only/119-12.0.html says how Christianity is good for the world in many ways. But i will say on both religions that- instead of praying to god and telling him to forgive us, how about we just go up and say sorry to who ever, for what ever reason.

• God is a product of human imagination, made dangerous by religion.

The abstraction identified as God, was created in the attempts of mankind to better understand the universe. With so much of the universe still unknown to humanity, its is normal for the mind to develop occasionally outlandish concretes to make the universe more understandable. By adding religious practices however, the God concept became a figure of centuries old doctrines. Although the wisdom offered by religious figures is too valuable for any rational person to ignore, religions such as Christianity, and the God concept, have become hazardous to humanity. These religions are highly contradictory, and make long refuted assumptions of how the universe works, and what constitutes genuine morality. Since contradictions do not exist in nature, people suffer mentally, trying to compromise between doctrine and reality. God, specifically anthropomorphic Gods, contributes the most to this, as it is the belief that God watches over mankind, and ultimately judges their actions in the suppose afterlife, that instill the fear of retribution in the human mind. Ultimately we are are left to either accept doctrine for the promise of salvation after death, or renounce God, and risk an eternity of damnation. Atheist do not suffer such contradictions, as they realize that God is merely and abstraction, and not a being of ultimate power who presides over mankind. As a result, they are better prepared, psychologically, for handling the real world.

• What evidence is there that god exists?

All there is for evidence is a ons old book. Have you ever heard of the game "Telephone"? The first testament was written decades after Jesus was crucified. How do you know the story wasn't warped? I do believe in Heaven and Hell, angels and demons, don't get me wrong.I just don't believe in God.

• I don't think it's possible to define what "atheism" actually believes.

According to every atheist I've ever met, atheism is not a defined belief system. According to many, atheism is in fact the defined absence of beliefs. In all cases, atheism does not give you any structure for your belief system, except insofar as it tells you that you can't include a conception of god in your personal belief structure.

Because of this, atheism is an extremely broad category.

For example, although Scientology a conception of something which they call "God", their conception of god is defined as "the urge towards existence at infinity", according to their website:

http://www.Scientology.Org/faq/scientology-beliefs/what-is-the-concept-of-god-in-scientology.Html

As near as I can tell, the urge towards existence at infinity is something that fits entirely within an atheistic framework; atheism doesn't preclude that belief. Scientologists can be atheists and atheists can be Scientologists; the two aren't mutually exclusive.

A more striking example of this consistency between atheism and religiosity is in Eastern thought. Of the six traditional orthodox schools of Hinduism, one is quite clearly within the bounds of atheism; Samkhya. Cārvāka, one of the heterodox schools, is also prominently atheistic. Neither Jainism nor Buddhism holds inherent belief in a personal god of any kind; both teach that you do not need a god in order to achieve enlightenment. The same holds true of Confucianism; all four of these classical religions are completely open to atheists.

Any category which would include Scientologists, Hindus, Confucians, and Secular Humanists together cannot possibly serve as a valid organizing structure for one's life. If atheists find fulfillment, it is not *because of,* but *conincidental to* their atheism.

Christianity makes a concrete set of moral claims about what is right and what is wrong. In Christianity there is a set of parables to be understood and mimicked; there's a concrete measure by which you can know whether or not you're doing good things. Because Christianity, unlike atheism, actually makes moral claims, it's the only one of these two options that is actually *possible* to find fulfillment in, and so as a rationalist (one who also happens to be a fully-theistic Lutheran Christian) I have to say that Christianity leads to a more fulfilling life pretty much by default.

• God is .

Atheism does nothing for you. It is nothing. Short term, it shows no meaning for you. Long term, it shows no hope. It says you are basically worthless and everything you do is worthless, and that you are an accident.

Christianity is everything. Well, the belief isn't everything, but God is everything. Short term, He reminds you that all things work together for good for those who love Him. He shows you that there is hope. He gives you a meaning. You know you were made for a reason; that there is a plan. Long term, you have eternal life and salvation from hell.

Say I'm wrong - no harm done and I've tried to help those have a good life, since this is the only one they have.
    Say I'm right - you risked and destroyed your eternity

• I am an atheist but. . .

I have every confidence that the religious walk around with a complete sense of being fulfilled. In the cup half full/empty scenario the religious belief the rest of the cup is filled with invisible Jesus-juice, or whatever. They pretend like there is nothing left to know beyond their superstition.

However, saying that they are fulfilled does not mean they SHOULD BE because they've had to lie to themselves about the universe in order to get that satisfaction. They haven't earned it. They've cheated and, so, their fulfillment is without merit.

• Christianity is more fulfilling

Honestly, I really don't know what it's like to be an atheist. But what I do know, is that god loves you no matter what. That you will live an eternal life with him. There is really nothing more fulfilling than knowing that. He sent his only child to die for all our sins so we may talk to him in a way that friends talk to eachother. In my opinion anyway.

• But what if there is a God?

If there really is a God, and you never believed in him while you were on this Earth, then you are condemning yourself. If there is no God, then why does it matter what we do? For if there is no God, then there is no such thing as sin. If there is no sin, then there is no right or wrong. If there is no right or wrong, then there is nothing telling us to follow the laws which are set up for this country. This amazing country of ours was founded because of belief in God. If it wasn't for that then the entire world would be different. Do you really think this perfectly set up world is an accident? There's no possible way. All things denote there is a God. So why take the risk and deny there is a God, cause if there really is a God, then your setting yourself up for failure for the eternities.