Who are the better metal band, Iron Maiden (yes) or Metallica (no)?

• Maiden's just better

Iron Maiden has better songs especially lyrically. Metallica seems to only be more popular in america than maiden which I'm not surprised of. Also metallica seems very arrogant quite frankly american. Also maiden's fans are much more loyal ( maybe it has something to do with that maiden isn't that mainstream). And you shouldn't dislike maiden due to it's long songs since they're where iron maiden is at the very best

• Maiden's just better

• Iron maiden rules

Well, in the 90's around 1992 I would argue Metallica owned Maiden, because of Fear of the dark, but Metallica's Black album just shocked me and took away all belief in metal at the time (aside from Megadeth and Slayer) But I was very disappointed, but when Maiden came back in 2000 with Brave new World, where was Metallica? Load, re load, My mind was made up right there at that moment, Maiden just came back putting out great albums, while I waited for st anger and death magnetic still I was dissapointed. And when I look at the big picture Maiden 15 lps, metallica what 8.

When people talk about the great 4 metallica albums in the 80's, I agree, however maiden had 7 super albums and I will never forget how maiden was there for me when my life was at it's lowest, they picked me up and gave me purpose and drive.

I read some of these debates and they have some key points for Metallica ( faster, more relatable, sell outs, less longer songs, more fame etc...) .That may be true However,

if it were not for Maiden there would be no Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, overkill. Etc... And in all the time Maiden have been around they stayed true to their fans. And Metallica has more fame .....In America yes but the world favours Maiden. (Canada, S America, Germany, Japan, U.K and most of Europe), and one person said they are more diverse, hell Maiden had 3 different singers and their first 3 albums are like 3 different bands, while staying in the metal genre.

As for the longer songs just more of Maiden to enjoy, if you don't like it just edit it, most of the time you can find it edited online.

I can relate more to maiden because they are not as
    dark and dreary, just more educated!

• Both great, but Metallica changed everything

They progressively made metal mainstream and wrote face melting songs like One, Battery and Four Horsemen. Iron maiden is amazing, but Metallica is a one of a kind lyrical and cultural metal group. They have sold more, they are more relatable and they have the fame iron maiden probably cant reach

• Iron Maiden, personally.

They just don't have the stigma of being a sellout band and they've put out some great, influential music. Metallica has made some great music, too, but their newest creations have been lackluster and they've just proven themselves to be sellouts. I'm sure I'd be tempted to sell out, too, if I were in their position but that doesn't change my opinion.

• Tough, but Maiden.

Yes, it's true that Metallica was one of the Big Four of Thrash, but Iron Maiden is just so much more powerful and influential. Metallica is awesome, there's no doubt about it, but they couldn't possibly beat out Maiden. Besides, everyone knows that Metallica went downhill after The Black Album.

• Maiden is better.

Love Metallica but Maiden is more consistent and has more classics. Not to mention when Maiden returned in 2000 they picked up where they left off in '92. Death Magnetic was great but all of Maidens 2000 relaeses minus Dance of Death were masterpieces. Excited for Metallicas new album tho.

• They are more consistent

When you look at metallica , only 5 of their albums are good i.E Mop , ride the lightning, and justice for all, kill 'em all and metallica . Whereas maiden has never disappointed with any of their albums . The best include powerslave , number of the beast , iron maiden , killers, brave new world , seventh son of a seventh son, piece of mind and book of souls . Though other maiden albums are not as good , but none of them is bad compared to some metallica albums like st.'s anger , lulu, load and reload and every new metallica album .

• No doubt Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden does not rely on radio airplay for their success. Even run to the hills is hardly heard on fm radio! Metallica always has enter sandman, the unforgiven and the other sell out tunes which puts them more on the red hot chili peppers style than real metal! Plus Iron maiden writes songs that make a person defiant which in america now with obama is a great attribute!!

• Maiden is Better.

The reason I think that Iron Maiden is better than Metallica has to do with the music itself. Sure, Metallica's sold more, but that's rock fans buying soft Metallica. Back in the 80's, Metallica could give Maiden a run for her money, but after '91, no way, Iron Maiden rules.

• All Maiden Songs Sound the Same

Okay the reason I found this site is because I like Metallica and my friend like's Iron Maiden. Now I don't dislike Iron Maiden really, I actually dig a lot of their old stuff (Fear of the Dark, Run to the Hills, Aces High). But Metallica has much more real lyrics, lyrics not all about Elves and witches (The Man Who Would Be King, Alexander the Grape I Mean Great) and whatnot. The main thing is, while Metallica changed their style over time (Load, ReLOAD) , Iron Maiden basically stayed the same except made their songs a million times longer (Tears of a Clown, The Talisman) and lost the good ol' fashioned violence that's in their early stuff (The Trooper, 2 Minutes to Midnight). And while many traditional Metallica fans didn't like their new stuff (I personally like it a bit less but still think it's great) that just makes their old stuff more valuable. That's just my opinion but honestly I don't know why it's such a big deal when both band are respectable.

• Metallica is the best

Metallica's first 5 albums make all other music sound weak. Even Maiden. Sorry, but it's true. I love Iron Maiden, but classic Metallica has so much power that it's scary. Even the mighty Maiden and Megadeth cannot compete. It isn't fair! Metallica deserves a free pass for life for giving us the ultimate metal masterpieces...

• Metallica hands down

It seems that everyone's argument in favour of Maiden is that Metallica went downhill after some point in time, I'd like to remind everyone however that at the peak of either band's height Metallica was better , and regardless of any consistency issue, at the end of the day ,"Nothing else matters."

• Maiden is great, but I HAVE to choose Metallica

Yes, Metallica DID sell out. Yes, Iron Maiden is one of the greatest and influential bands of all time. Yes, Steven Harris is a metal deity (as is Bruce and the rest of the members) and one of the best bassists in metal history. HOWEVER, when Metallica did sell out, although the sound did change, the genre was still metal, so we cannot forget to take that era into consideration. The music they produced during their sell out era was still great. Come on, I love "Master of Puppets" too, but you can't deny that "Fuel" is a pretty cool song. And that's only one. I mean the Black Album was a really good album. As were Load and Re-Load. Even St. Anger had music of the metal genre and it was STILL good music. I'm not saying that Metallica's sell out days were better than their first four albums. I just haven't gotten to them yet. The first four albums of Metallica are just amazing. Come on, Metallica is considered the better than Megadeth mostly because of their first four albums. Metallica is one of the Big Four, the biggest of the Big Four, and they were only a thrash band for their first four albums. I mean, they're back to their old ways we could say with Death Magnetic, but they probably would have been one of the Big Four without the album. It's because of their first four albums. Metallica's first four albums are more popular than ENTIRE careers of other bands. And that's because of how beautiful those albums are. I didn't really want to have to say it, but Metallica is better in my personal opinion. I mean, Maiden is great, but Metallica is a bit better. I just think I like Metallica's music more. I love their first four albums way more than I like all of Maiden's music. I also like Metallica's later stuff. And I like then if you ever get bored of listening to Kill 'Em All, or Ride the Lightening, you can just listen to Load, or Re-Load. Still great music, but it's almost like listening to another band. The band has diversity. Maiden has less diversity. I will say though that Maiden's songs are typically more complicated, however, I still think Metallica's music is better. Not to mention, after a while the complicated, long songs get boring, and bore me faster than Metallica's long thrash songs.