Who was The More Powerful Admiral: Yi Sun Shin (Yes) or Horatio Nelson (No)?

Asked by: turtletycoon7
  • In terms of the numbers, there is no contest

Call me biased but Yi Sun-Shin without a doubt.

Let's take the highlight of their careers. Their best battles. Horatio Nelson's would be the Battle of Trafalgar and Yi Sun-Shin's would be the Battle of Myeongnyang (shameless self advertising: https://www.quora.com/What-are-t... )

In the Battle of Trafalgar, Admiral Nelson fought against 2 fleets, one Spanish and one French with his own 33 ships. The total was 33 vs 41 ships. Nelson took 1666 casualties, wounded and killed while inflicting 13,781 casualties against the enemy. 10 enemy ships were destroyed and one captured.

In the Battle of Myeongnyang, Admiral Yi fought against at least 330 Japanese warships with his 13. (Let that sink in for a moment. 13 vs 330.) Yi took 13 casualties, 10 killed, 3 wounded and lost no ships. The Japanese lost 31 ships and had around 18,000 casualties.

I mean, looking at it already, the loss to destruction is ratio is so much higher in Yi's favor. But then again, around Japanese ships were logistical, so 13 vs 130. Even with that Yi's ratio is much higher than Nelson's.

And Yi's legacy is undeniably better than Nelson's. Admiral Togo, the mastermind behind the Russian defeat in the Battle of Tsushima stated, "It may be proper to compare me with Nelson, but not with Korea's Yi Sun-Shin for he has no equal".

But even though, I consider Yi Sun-Shin to be a better naval commander, I am not dissing Nelson, he was a genius in his own rights.

And just for extra badassery, here's their last words.

"The battle is at its height, beat my war drums, do not announce my death." -Admiral Yi

"Thank God, I have done my duty." - Admiral Nelson

• The Least is the Best

Although Nelson is famous for defeating Napoleon's fleet in the 1800s, we must note that Napoleon's strength was land: at sea he was like a novice. Any competent general could have defeated Napoleon's rotten fleet.
    On the comparison, Yi not only had the less strategic advantages and less supplies, he also won the most spectacular battles: in one sea battle, he crushed the 300 Japanese ships with 13 of his own, none of which were his famous Turtle Ships! He also never had formal military training, nor any defeats at the sea: he was the natural genius!
    Such was Yi's success that even the Japanese- Korea and Japan have been enemies for hundreds, if not thousands of years- admire him.