Why can't 18-20 years olds legally purchase handguns? They vote, join the military, purchase rifles & shotguns, why cant they practice their 2nd Amendment Rights?

Asked by: StephanieBaby505
  • Not all older people are more mature than 18-20 year olds.

I assume that one of the main premise for 18-20 year olds is that they're less mature than adults (21+). But that is definitely not entirely true. I also believe people just need to find ways to learn to be responsible and find ways to learn to have self-control when it comes to unhealthy or dangerous products such as guns and drugs. Don't just try to outlaw them. No matter how many times you outlaw a product, that product will always exist so long as it's in demand and that there are producers willing to supply it. The only thing outlawing a product does is shift that product from the mainstream market into the black market.

Posted by: NPd
  • I believe between the ages of 18-20, citizens in this age group, should be allowed to purchase handguns!

If at 18 years old, you can vote, buy tobacco products, join the military, and not to mention 18-20 year olds can legally purchase rifles and shotguns, why are they not able to practice their 2nd Amendment right, Right to Bear Arms. I would like to put emphasis on the 2nd Amendment, A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” I would like to put extreme emphasis on the specific phrase, “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” Unless the United States of American does not consider 18 to 20 year old individuals people, they should be allowed by law to buy any type of handgun(s). It is written clearly in the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

• Technically 18-20 year old can.

When you turn 18 you legally become an adult and can join the military, get married, vote, buy a long gun from a dealer, have a job, live indepently etc. There is no reason that adults in this age bracket can't buy a handgun from a dealer or even drink a beer if they can enjoy every right and responsibility like every other adult in this country. Besides, federal law says you can't buy a handgun from a licensed dealer until your 21, but makes no distinction for a private seller, meaning that a private sale is legal, as long as state laws are followed.

• No one should have guns

When you own a gun it is more likely that you will end up shot by it, your child will end up shooting themself or a sibling, or an accident will occur with the gun in some way than it will EVER protect you. Having a gun actually puts YOU in danger. Ironic, isnt it?
    Know the facts.

• The "why" is increased potential for harm. The better question is "why is it better to allow 18-20 year olds to purchase handguns?"

The connection between handgun ownership and military service is questionable--is the claim that an 18-20 year old who had already completed service in the military (there are very few) is less likely to inflict unwarranted harm? I'm not convinced its best to allow 18-20 year olds to purchase handguns, or for anyone to own handguns for that matter. I don't buy the argument that handguns are needed for a well regulated militia (what is the militia supposed to be, a backup national guard?). The right to bear arms does not apply to any weapon -- there should absolutely be constraints on gun ownership, and the current restriction does not seem at all inappropriate to me.