WikiLeaks release of US diplomatic cables: Are the leaks good for democracy/transparency?

• Are the WikiLeaks a Good Thing?

Whether the WikiLeaks are a good thing or a bad thing is a hard question for the man or woman on the street who is not well versed in natinal defense and security issues, has only James Bond movies to reference on the general subject, and might have thought a few politicians may have been up to no good but never had an inkling he should consider the whole governement suspect. The WikiLeaks hit me and possibly the general public like a bolt from the blue. But the offenders who turned on the faucets come across in the press like well intended ordinary people who thought they had uncovered such horrific things that they had to put their futures and possibly their lives on the line to protect us all. They come across that way despite the governemnt's efforts to debunk them. I have to go with my gut on this one. Its too bad these people thought they were faced with such dire choices. But I have not reason to believe the leakers were not sincere. So I reluctantly approve.

• No, not really.

Wikileaks leaves information up for debate and ends up panicking some individuals, while creating theories and people start to think the government is constantly hiding something or trying to keep information from us. It seems like it overall encourages to believe that there is always a conspiracy and gets people worked up for no reason.