Will Aaron Swartz's suicide spark copyright reform?

• Copyright laws should protect the writing itself, not the database collection.

Creativity of ideas should be protected in favor of the person who expresses them. Persons or companies who compile databases of previously copyrighted writings, whose copyrights have expired, should not be allowed to recopyright those writings. At most, they should be allowed to charge for the use of their databases, but not for the sharing of the writings they have captured from the public domain.

• No

We cannot try and pass a new law or reform every time someone in the public eye commits suicide or is killed. It was terribly sad to see a figure like that pass away, but there is not much that can be done. He took his own life, it was his choice. I do not believe a reform would stop someone who felt the same say to do something similar.

• Needed but doubful

I don't think it will change a thing, but while there are gaps in how copyright works, overall it has done fairly well. This death is sad, but I don't think it's popular enough to change things at all. Copyright has not changed too much over the years and I don't think it's going to be making any huge leaps just because of this.

• No, the death will not change copyright law.

Although the death was unfortunate, I do not believe things will change anytime soon. Copyrights are an important matter and changing them is not something that should be taken lightly. Properties need to be protected and not to be used indiscriminately by anyone who sees fit. This is something that is very important and should not be disturbed.

• No, there is always an issue between the public and copyright reform

As long as the prosecutors are in the back pockets of the people who hold the copyrights, guess what, the people who have the money and the means to have put pressure on the public, they are going to continue to try and make examples of people who tend to break the rules.