• Not in the near future, not like cassettes did.

First, you have to understand that the question isn't "What's better for music, CD's or Vinyl?" It's whether CD's will become obsolete.

Second, CD's aren't just for music. They are also for data. DVD's already hold a significant amount more data than CD's. In data terms, CD's are already obsolete--unless you consider that any sort of optical disc could be considered a kind of CD.

Third, CD/DVD tech is proven and reliable. The medium has no moving parts (unlike cassettes) and as long as it remains undamaged can hold data for long periods of time, probably upwards of 40-50 years. I have CD ROMS from my first PC that are 20+ years old and still work just fine.

Fourth, the medium is cheap and easy to produce, making it an efficient choice for data. Thumb drives may be smaller and more re-write friendly, but they are much more costly. Consider the cost of one 64 gb high quality usb drive is about the same as a whole stack of 100 DVD's, which gives over 7 times the storage. Added bonus--if you divide your backups onto several DVD's instead of putting them all on one flash drive, you gain a measure of security; if you lose a DVD you don't lose ALL of your data. Obviously, for long-term storage and backing up important data, nothing is as cheap and efficient as CD's big cousin, the DVD.

Finally, just because Apple does it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Ditching opticals on their new generation computers just forces users to buy external drives, so the weight savings is worse than nil, and now you've got extra gear to carry.

Because the data you record now is going to be around for 40+ years on a CD or DVD (or whatever comes next in that line of technology), there will be readers for that tech for many, many years to come.

I, for one, will continue to use them until I can't get them in stores anymore.

• Let's Face It

CD's are dying because vinyl is so awesome and vinyl has a warmer sound so there and with vinyl you can read liner notes unlike a compact disc music enthusiasts buy records because they are cool MP3 & I Tunes have made people STOP buying CDS aswell because they're digital and vinyl is awesome.

• Other Older Technologies have become Obsolete, why not CDs?

Before the CD was even made, there were cassette tapes. The cassette tapes have become obsolete due to the invention of CDs. Consumers have seen how CDs can provide a larger data storage, higher quality music, and easier functionality compared to cassette tapes. Now with the invention of the flashdrive (pendrive) and cloud, these CDs will also become obsolete for they can provide larger data storages and even easier functionality. In addition, they are easier to carry and stronger.

• Sadly , Yes.. Desktops & laptops don't ship in with CD Drives anymore

"Pendrives" the pocket sized dynamo can hold several Giga bytes of data & can achieve transfer speeds of a few Megabytes per second. Encryption techniques have brought down the size of data & the same holds for music. Studio quality tracs are still available if, you own a home theater system & would like to enjoy the nuances of music. The same can be downloaded onto a pendrive & be played from that pendrive. So yes Pendrives have shattered and demolished the need for CDs

• Vinyl Better Than CD's

Ever Since the Vinyl Came Back more and more people have been buying Their Music On Vinyl because of the Warmer sound, the detail, Resolution and dynamics and Basically Vinyl sounds more Life- like than CD's. CDs are just representations of the Music CDs over time will rot witch means they will become unreadable. In my opinion Vinyl is way better than CDs

• Obviously they will.

Everything is becoming digital and technology moves very fast. Remember floppy discs? CDs will go the same way. All music, films etc will be bought online and we'll transfer them from computer to computer through the cloud.

I can't believe that 46% of people really think that CD's won't become obsolete. In 20 years, d'you really think they'll still be around? Come on!

A lot of new laptops already don't have optical drives. Apple are removing optical drives from all their computers (including desktops) to make them thinner and more portable with the first one being the Macbook Air in 2008. When Apple starts to phase a technology out you know that it will soon be gone as Apple are often the first to do so. The original iMac was the first computer to not support floppy discs.

Vinil has made a comeback but that's only cause lots of people prefer the sound quality because the sound quality is actually different from digital. Also, it's nice to have a physical object and they have a stylish aspect as the are vintage.

But CDs/DVDs will be dead soon.

• Time marches on!

Everything eventually becomes obsolete. Even us humans.... It gets increasingly more difficult to learn all the technical stuff, as we get older.
    I never listen to downloads on my phone, don't know how to download to car. It's so much easier to put a CD in your car CD player.

• A Dying Breed

1. CD's are digital formats that have been replaced by larger capacity devices that are much more portable and flexible.
    2. Quality of a CD audio depends largely from the recording origin, but not so with lossless of flac format, etc.,
    3. Some argue about the physical presence and bonding one gets with acquiring a CD, I challenge those to try the LP experience.
    4. Others debate finding or discovering songs on CD's, but that confuse me because an entire album is usually available to preview from mediums such as iTunes, Google, etc.,
    5. Physical space. Yes, CD's don't take that much real estate but my 2TB HD takes much less and in my pocket, my portable device (ipod/cellphone,etc) can facilitate over 1000 CD or more worth of music. Yes, one can carry a CD case and a portable CD player but Hipsters wouldn't even do that.
    6. Yes, one can pick and choose their favorite tunes and put it on a CD, but wouldn't it be easier to put it on a thumb drive? Oh, the possibilities!
    7. Lastly, convenience: technological advancement should improve in the future. CD's had it's glory, so did 8-Track, Cassette, VCR's, Laser Disc, Mini-Disc, DVDs, and so forth. Even the youthful iPod is aging giving way to cellphones. In the digital world things will get physically smaller and with larger capacity drives and hopefully it'll find the warmth of analog.
    Side Note: LP's - the warmth the physical experience, a bliss.

• Haven't bought a CD in at least 10 years

CDs are definitely becoming obsolete. With things like iTunes, iPhones/iPods, and other mp3 players, there is just no need for them anymore. I think the last time I actually bought a CD was around 2003, so about 11 years ago. As a teenager in the 90s, CDs were all the rage. I remember belonging to clubs like BMG and Columbia House and I literally had hundreds of CDs. All of my friends did as well. Those were the days of the Sony Discman and going to school with a case full of CDs. While CDs are very nostalgic for me, I just don't need them anymore. I stream music on Pandora we have satellite radio in our vehicles. I have taken all of my favorite CDs and converted them into mp3 format on my computer to put on my iPhone. I also believe that DVDs and bluray will become obsolete in the near future as well. With things like Netflix and Amazon Instant Queue, who needs them? My DVD collection goes all the way back to around 1999, so I have a ton, but it's been a few years since I've actually watched one since I always just use Netflix or DirecTV's On Demand service. I have a few blurays as well, but I never really got into those. Bottom line, everything is in digital format these days and the actual physical discs are greatly fading out.

• Obsolete but not gone.

Look at the opposite column and you see that many people still like the physical thing, so although they will fade completely it will be a long fade. I only buy them as gifts. CD art is too small to be meaningful to me, and the difference in sound is beyond the range of my old ears and limited bank account. My prediction is that DVDs will die before CDs, but both will go. Seems to me the only reason Flash has not taken over the physical side of AV is that it's too small to package. All unnecessary moving parts are destined for the dustbin.

• Love my CD collection I

I love physical formats like cds and vinyl. This is how you collect music, not on a computer. CDs can sound fantastic on a good music system. What about blue ray audio disc. Great sound. I personally don't care to have my music on a computer. Long live physical formats

• Best hard format.

I think there will always be a hard format for music and CD's make the most sense. Like previous posts stated, it gives you something physical to get your music back if something happens to your computer and you lose all of your music. Also, keeping all music with a company like Apple is not safe because there is no guarantee they will be in business in 25 years.

• CD is dying, but what replaces it ain't foolproof either.

If you are like me and have quite a few CDs with more than 6 tracks you really like, the number of CDs available for $5-6 is huge these days for a new CD (granted, not all of them!). Since most CDs average about 9-18 tracks (sometimes lots more), if you want everything on an album, 99-cent downloads can be a real rip-off, never mind many downloads are only low-sample-rate mp3s, and not the original 44.1KHz wav full-blown data. And I agree about the "lesser" or "B-side" tracks on CDs -- sometimes I like these as much as the "popular" cuts from some artists. You don't know these little gems are there unless you buy the whole CD.

With a CD in hand, I can rip to any format I wish, with my own control over the sample rate vs. Size I need. And if I goof up and accidentally nuke something on storage without a backup, I can ALWAYS recover CD data on the original CD I purchased. You can't upsample from a 320K mp3 and expect good quality.

I also hope for the artists' sake the CD doesn't die. It's hard for artists to keep producing GOOD material if they make much less royalty than they do now. Good for the consumer to only buy 100% what they like, but if it gets to the point that no artists are making anything because they're starved for royalties... Then there won't be anything to play at all.

Unfortunately, there's a TON of piracy around with music as it is. I ONLY listen to what I've paid for legally. Sorry guys, 'fess up some of you - how many of your mp3's are legit and paid for? I know some bozos who download everything they can glom onto, legal or not... And that's not fair to the artists at all. It's theft, and 99-cent downloads are kind of a veiled solution to getting some cheapskates to spend SOMETHING for the music they uh, "freely"enjoy. 'Nuff said.

And put my paid-for music "in the cloud"? Meh. What happens when cloud providers get smart and decide to start charging for their storage space? Or the 99-cent-a-pop sellers decide that 99 cents a track isn't enough money? You don't need to pay a "lease" for CD music on your own local storage (ok, you need a lot of shelves to store them ;) How many "Photo storage" sites collapsed a few years ago, leaving hapless users with lost pictures, or started charging fees for the storage? I think the same thing will happen with Cloud storage. Data centers and online storage aren't free to maintain.

If it gets to the point that it appears that CD players are obsoleted, I can at least snap one last high-bandwidth copy onto holographic media (or whatever else becomes king next) :)

• They will absolutely NOT become Absolute

Anyone that cares in the slightest about music quality will never abandon the CD. Music downloads up to 320 MB have 1/4 the recorded information of a CD. And with good speakers, crap in becomes crap out. CD and CD players are here to stay. Hail the absolutely wonderful CD!

• I just like cds

I think they could be replaced, but people will still want them and buy them. I buy cds all the time and i honestly think i will be buying them forever because i and a lot of other people hate digital formating of things. I do like vinyls but i like cds more because they are small and convenient.

• Just bee cauase

Just bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauaseJust bee cauase

• There's no reason to hate cds

Why would you want to get rid of cds? Whats the big whoop? So what if vinyls are better than cds. We just can't let CDs go down the drain. I don't want it to happen. But I guess people will love records any more. Please bring back CDs. Thank You.

• CDs Will Always Be Around In Some Form.

The CD has been around for over 30 years and it's still selling strong, even though not as good as in years past. CDs are still hot sellers via online stores like Amazon, Best Buy, CD Universe, etc. but the days of music stores are long gone. CDs are the preferred musical format for most technology and music experts for sound quality, so CDs will be around for a long time to come.

Anonymous says2013-08-05T22:33:29
I feel that they are becoming obsolete and soon they will be gone because people are doing more downloading. Some local video rental places have closed in my area