• The only reason I own optical media is for OS installation on an old computer, and one game on optical media

I don't believe in shit like Amazon Prime and Netflix and Hulu, but I also hate having hundreds of discs around my house, so I use a NAS for my movies, music, and TV shows, and just pirate them thru a private tracker. The only be optical media I own at this point is some DVD-RWs for OS installation if I happen to be dealing with an older machine that can't boot from USB. The only other optical media I happen to own is driver discs for various hardware I have bought that I kept just in case, and one PC game, Zoo Tycoon 2: Ultimate Collection. All the rest of my PC games are digital thru steam or origin.

• Obsolete!Hell yeah definitely

They will become obsolete in the near future due to websites and apps such as youtube,youtube red,netflix,amazon prime video ,hulu,sling and hbo go.Netflix already has a ton of tv shows that were bought with cds back in the day and CDS are also way more expensive. Example youtube is totally free nextflix basic subscription is only 8 usd whick how much 10 cds will cost

• Not in the near future, not like cassettes did.

First, you have to understand that the question isn't "What's better for music, CD's or Vinyl?" It's whether CD's will become obsolete.

Second, CD's aren't just for music. They are also for data. DVD's already hold a significant amount more data than CD's. In data terms, CD's are already obsolete--unless you consider that any sort of optical disc could be considered a kind of CD.

Third, CD/DVD tech is proven and reliable. The medium has no moving parts (unlike cassettes) and as long as it remains undamaged can hold data for long periods of time, probably upwards of 40-50 years. I have CD ROMS from my first PC that are 20+ years old and still work just fine.

Fourth, the medium is cheap and easy to produce, making it an efficient choice for data. Thumb drives may be smaller and more re-write friendly, but they are much more costly. Consider the cost of one 64 gb high quality usb drive is about the same as a whole stack of 100 DVD's, which gives over 7 times the storage. Added bonus--if you divide your backups onto several DVD's instead of putting them all on one flash drive, you gain a measure of security; if you lose a DVD you don't lose ALL of your data. Obviously, for long-term storage and backing up important data, nothing is as cheap and efficient as CD's big cousin, the DVD.

Finally, just because Apple does it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Ditching opticals on their new generation computers just forces users to buy external drives, so the weight savings is worse than nil, and now you've got extra gear to carry.

Because the data you record now is going to be around for 40+ years on a CD or DVD (or whatever comes next in that line of technology), there will be readers for that tech for many, many years to come.

I, for one, will continue to use them until I can't get them in stores anymore.

• Let's Face It

CD's are dying because vinyl is so awesome and vinyl has a warmer sound so there and with vinyl you can read liner notes unlike a compact disc music enthusiasts buy records because they are cool MP3 & I Tunes have made people STOP buying CDS aswell because they're digital and vinyl is awesome.

• Other Older Technologies have become Obsolete, why not CDs?

Before the CD was even made, there were cassette tapes. The cassette tapes have become obsolete due to the invention of CDs. Consumers have seen how CDs can provide a larger data storage, higher quality music, and easier functionality compared to cassette tapes. Now with the invention of the flashdrive (pendrive) and cloud, these CDs will also become obsolete for they can provide larger data storages and even easier functionality. In addition, they are easier to carry and stronger.

• Sadly , Yes.. Desktops & laptops don't ship in with CD Drives anymore

"Pendrives" the pocket sized dynamo can hold several Giga bytes of data & can achieve transfer speeds of a few Megabytes per second. Encryption techniques have brought down the size of data & the same holds for music. Studio quality tracs are still available if, you own a home theater system & would like to enjoy the nuances of music. The same can be downloaded onto a pendrive & be played from that pendrive. So yes Pendrives have shattered and demolished the need for CDs

• Vinyl Better Than CD's

Ever Since the Vinyl Came Back more and more people have been buying Their Music On Vinyl because of the Warmer sound, the detail, Resolution and dynamics and Basically Vinyl sounds more Life- like than CD's. CDs are just representations of the Music CDs over time will rot witch means they will become unreadable. In my opinion Vinyl is way better than CDs

• Obviously they will.

Everything is becoming digital and technology moves very fast. Remember floppy discs? CDs will go the same way. All music, films etc will be bought online and we'll transfer them from computer to computer through the cloud.

I can't believe that 46% of people really think that CD's won't become obsolete. In 20 years, d'you really think they'll still be around? Come on!

A lot of new laptops already don't have optical drives. Apple are removing optical drives from all their computers (including desktops) to make them thinner and more portable with the first one being the Macbook Air in 2008. When Apple starts to phase a technology out you know that it will soon be gone as Apple are often the first to do so. The original iMac was the first computer to not support floppy discs.

Vinil has made a comeback but that's only cause lots of people prefer the sound quality because the sound quality is actually different from digital. Also, it's nice to have a physical object and they have a stylish aspect as the are vintage.

But CDs/DVDs will be dead soon.

• Time marches on!

Everything eventually becomes obsolete. Even us humans.... It gets increasingly more difficult to learn all the technical stuff, as we get older.
    I never listen to downloads on my phone, don't know how to download to car. It's so much easier to put a CD in your car CD player.

• A Dying Breed

1. CD's are digital formats that have been replaced by larger capacity devices that are much more portable and flexible.
    2. Quality of a CD audio depends largely from the recording origin, but not so with lossless of flac format, etc.,
    3. Some argue about the physical presence and bonding one gets with acquiring a CD, I challenge those to try the LP experience.
    4. Others debate finding or discovering songs on CD's, but that confuse me because an entire album is usually available to preview from mediums such as iTunes, Google, etc.,
    5. Physical space. Yes, CD's don't take that much real estate but my 2TB HD takes much less and in my pocket, my portable device (ipod/cellphone,etc) can facilitate over 1000 CD or more worth of music. Yes, one can carry a CD case and a portable CD player but Hipsters wouldn't even do that.
    6. Yes, one can pick and choose their favorite tunes and put it on a CD, but wouldn't it be easier to put it on a thumb drive? Oh, the possibilities!
    7. Lastly, convenience: technological advancement should improve in the future. CD's had it's glory, so did 8-Track, Cassette, VCR's, Laser Disc, Mini-Disc, DVDs, and so forth. Even the youthful iPod is aging giving way to cellphones. In the digital world things will get physically smaller and with larger capacity drives and hopefully it'll find the warmth of analog.
    Side Note: LP's - the warmth the physical experience, a bliss.

• Sound quality of CD is best

The Audiophile choice is CD, it perfectly captures all the sound quality of the studio mix. It will always sound pristine. Tape and Vinyl wears out. Even MP3 320 doesn't sound as good because it has less data.
    The problem is that many downloads only offer MP3 which has poorer sound quality than CD. I personally won't pay money for an MP3. If downloads were in .Wav format, I'd consider paying money, but not as much as a CD. A HDD can fail, then you loose your music. A CD doesn't fail, unless grossly mistreated. When you buy a CD you get a durable physical format with ultimate sound quality. Perhaps most people don't care about sound quality, but audiophiles do. I think audiophiles are a rare breed, but they will keep CDs going.
    I'm not 100% sure of any of this. Technology and fashion changes fast these days. I hope CD is around for a long time, it's the best sound quality we've got!

• No, at least not for some time

CD's and DVD's are far more durable than are cassette tapes and vinyl records. Also, you don't have to pay for them over and over as you do for computerized streaming services. As I personally see it, it is touch and go as to whether they will disappear entirely. It is a mystery to me why some new inventions cause previous things to become obsolete; such as the calculator replacing the slide rule, whereas the video revolution: VHS tapes, DVD video discs, etc. have not made the movie theaters obsolete.

• Everything stay the same.

So every humans in the world still buying CDs even us family who lives like retro like the 1950's or the 90's. There for, the time has come for the CDs to survive. The laptop, and computers still has a drive and a car still has a car CD player today.

• So they won't obsolete

No one believe if they were ashamed about we believe we don't need the apple's new laptop and Cell/mobile phone. So we think the CDs will still be around as long as we kept try use a laptop with optical drive.. . . . . . . .. . .. .

• I don't think so

Why? Because We don't have to use iPhone anymore even now we think the CDs won't die in 2017 ( that's last year ) even in the year 2018. Today CDs will be able to survive so not a fewer CD albums but lots of albums.. .... . ... ..

• No it won't

CDs are still around, and they won't become obsolete. So you know about that floppy disc? They were cool a lot of people are still buying CDs and they also buy laptops and computers with the optical drives because great and interesting so they mean so much to all of us a the economy of the CDs will get cheaper soon

• NO it won't

Just think how important as the CDs were. You know, that floppy disc? CDs are just great to use so they don't go. A lot of people still buying CDs and they also still buy laptops and computers with optical drive because they they love them and they were great to them.

• No it won't

It won't because the CD/DVD won't be obsolete for now on. Some people must learn from if the CDs did became obsolete, how AM I going to Lives like the late 1990s.. .. .. . .. ... .. .... . ... . . .. . . . .. . . .

• We love CDs

We think we don't want CDs to die away because they means so much to us. Even the other people in the world so we have to get along with it so Vinyl wasn't better than CDs so we thing both vinyl and CDs are great to listen to music. But we can put CDs in our car CD player.

• No No way!

Some people are still useing eletronics from the other company besides the apple are Lenovo, samsung, and Dell so a few people are getting tired of using netflix and switching back to DVDs or trying amazon prime. So we prefer to have All music, films etc that was inside the floppy disc can be sold and brought. For now on Lenovo and samsung are often to do so. But we are still using a PC, and the PC are way better than Mac because it was still on the market even the CDs/DVDs.

Anonymous says2013-08-05T22:33:29
I feel that they are becoming obsolete and soon they will be gone because people are doing more downloading. Some local video rental places have closed in my area