• Obsolete!Hell yeah definitely

They will become obsolete in the near future due to websites and apps such as youtube,youtube red,netflix,amazon prime video ,hulu,sling and hbo go.Netflix already has a ton of tv shows that were bought with cds back in the day and CDS are also way more expensive. Example youtube is totally free nextflix basic subscription is only 8 usd whick how much 10 cds will cost

• Not in the near future, not like cassettes did.

First, you have to understand that the question isn't "What's better for music, CD's or Vinyl?" It's whether CD's will become obsolete.

Second, CD's aren't just for music. They are also for data. DVD's already hold a significant amount more data than CD's. In data terms, CD's are already obsolete--unless you consider that any sort of optical disc could be considered a kind of CD.

Third, CD/DVD tech is proven and reliable. The medium has no moving parts (unlike cassettes) and as long as it remains undamaged can hold data for long periods of time, probably upwards of 40-50 years. I have CD ROMS from my first PC that are 20+ years old and still work just fine.

Fourth, the medium is cheap and easy to produce, making it an efficient choice for data. Thumb drives may be smaller and more re-write friendly, but they are much more costly. Consider the cost of one 64 gb high quality usb drive is about the same as a whole stack of 100 DVD's, which gives over 7 times the storage. Added bonus--if you divide your backups onto several DVD's instead of putting them all on one flash drive, you gain a measure of security; if you lose a DVD you don't lose ALL of your data. Obviously, for long-term storage and backing up important data, nothing is as cheap and efficient as CD's big cousin, the DVD.

Finally, just because Apple does it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Ditching opticals on their new generation computers just forces users to buy external drives, so the weight savings is worse than nil, and now you've got extra gear to carry.

Because the data you record now is going to be around for 40+ years on a CD or DVD (or whatever comes next in that line of technology), there will be readers for that tech for many, many years to come.

I, for one, will continue to use them until I can't get them in stores anymore.

• Let's Face It

CD's are dying because vinyl is so awesome and vinyl has a warmer sound so there and with vinyl you can read liner notes unlike a compact disc music enthusiasts buy records because they are cool MP3 & I Tunes have made people STOP buying CDS aswell because they're digital and vinyl is awesome.

• Other Older Technologies have become Obsolete, why not CDs?

Before the CD was even made, there were cassette tapes. The cassette tapes have become obsolete due to the invention of CDs. Consumers have seen how CDs can provide a larger data storage, higher quality music, and easier functionality compared to cassette tapes. Now with the invention of the flashdrive (pendrive) and cloud, these CDs will also become obsolete for they can provide larger data storages and even easier functionality. In addition, they are easier to carry and stronger.

• Sadly , Yes.. Desktops & laptops don't ship in with CD Drives anymore

"Pendrives" the pocket sized dynamo can hold several Giga bytes of data & can achieve transfer speeds of a few Megabytes per second. Encryption techniques have brought down the size of data & the same holds for music. Studio quality tracs are still available if, you own a home theater system & would like to enjoy the nuances of music. The same can be downloaded onto a pendrive & be played from that pendrive. So yes Pendrives have shattered and demolished the need for CDs

• Vinyl Better Than CD's

Ever Since the Vinyl Came Back more and more people have been buying Their Music On Vinyl because of the Warmer sound, the detail, Resolution and dynamics and Basically Vinyl sounds more Life- like than CD's. CDs are just representations of the Music CDs over time will rot witch means they will become unreadable. In my opinion Vinyl is way better than CDs

• Obviously they will.

Everything is becoming digital and technology moves very fast. Remember floppy discs? CDs will go the same way. All music, films etc will be bought online and we'll transfer them from computer to computer through the cloud.

I can't believe that 46% of people really think that CD's won't become obsolete. In 20 years, d'you really think they'll still be around? Come on!

A lot of new laptops already don't have optical drives. Apple are removing optical drives from all their computers (including desktops) to make them thinner and more portable with the first one being the Macbook Air in 2008. When Apple starts to phase a technology out you know that it will soon be gone as Apple are often the first to do so. The original iMac was the first computer to not support floppy discs.

Vinil has made a comeback but that's only cause lots of people prefer the sound quality because the sound quality is actually different from digital. Also, it's nice to have a physical object and they have a stylish aspect as the are vintage.

But CDs/DVDs will be dead soon.

• Time marches on!

Everything eventually becomes obsolete. Even us humans.... It gets increasingly more difficult to learn all the technical stuff, as we get older.
    I never listen to downloads on my phone, don't know how to download to car. It's so much easier to put a CD in your car CD player.

• A Dying Breed

1. CD's are digital formats that have been replaced by larger capacity devices that are much more portable and flexible.
    2. Quality of a CD audio depends largely from the recording origin, but not so with lossless of flac format, etc.,
    3. Some argue about the physical presence and bonding one gets with acquiring a CD, I challenge those to try the LP experience.
    4. Others debate finding or discovering songs on CD's, but that confuse me because an entire album is usually available to preview from mediums such as iTunes, Google, etc.,
    5. Physical space. Yes, CD's don't take that much real estate but my 2TB HD takes much less and in my pocket, my portable device (ipod/cellphone,etc) can facilitate over 1000 CD or more worth of music. Yes, one can carry a CD case and a portable CD player but Hipsters wouldn't even do that.
    6. Yes, one can pick and choose their favorite tunes and put it on a CD, but wouldn't it be easier to put it on a thumb drive? Oh, the possibilities!
    7. Lastly, convenience: technological advancement should improve in the future. CD's had it's glory, so did 8-Track, Cassette, VCR's, Laser Disc, Mini-Disc, DVDs, and so forth. Even the youthful iPod is aging giving way to cellphones. In the digital world things will get physically smaller and with larger capacity drives and hopefully it'll find the warmth of analog.
    Side Note: LP's - the warmth the physical experience, a bliss.

• Haven't bought a CD in at least 10 years

CDs are definitely becoming obsolete. With things like iTunes, iPhones/iPods, and other mp3 players, there is just no need for them anymore. I think the last time I actually bought a CD was around 2003, so about 11 years ago. As a teenager in the 90s, CDs were all the rage. I remember belonging to clubs like BMG and Columbia House and I literally had hundreds of CDs. All of my friends did as well. Those were the days of the Sony Discman and going to school with a case full of CDs. While CDs are very nostalgic for me, I just don't need them anymore. I stream music on Pandora we have satellite radio in our vehicles. I have taken all of my favorite CDs and converted them into mp3 format on my computer to put on my iPhone. I also believe that DVDs and bluray will become obsolete in the near future as well. With things like Netflix and Amazon Instant Queue, who needs them? My DVD collection goes all the way back to around 1999, so I have a ton, but it's been a few years since I've actually watched one since I always just use Netflix or DirecTV's On Demand service. I have a few blurays as well, but I never really got into those. Bottom line, everything is in digital format these days and the actual physical discs are greatly fading out.

• Obviously they won't.

Many teen still use CDs in the 2000s and 2010s they were still very good music and I know how somebody love retro modern because it was important to us besides any time we listen to CDs on medium often or very often but we must love them it was very good digital in our today's technology.

• Not any time soon

Many people like earlier modern technology so they can find at any stores or web store as much as they like so now on we are still using them today. That' only because digital is part of our worlds tradition so as the boombox, and car CD player as much as someone wants the CDs they will be on sale soon.

• No they won't

Many people like earlier modern technology So they can find it on amazon I have lots of CDs and we were still using them today. Besides I know someone how they love CDs and I love them much as more then they do. So they can buy them any time they want.

• No it can't

Many people like to have old electronic, and CDs. But they can find it on amazon or goodwill we been using them for a long time. So many people can buy CD at any commercial stores like target, Walmart, or best buy. And I know how someone was Interesting in CDs then they'll continue using them.

• No it can't

I had lots of old electronic and I was interesting in DVDs and CDs besides CDs are fun to listen to music. Anyway someone in the world love to have CD/DVD but I know someone who love old stuff as well many people in the world don't care if they take any spaces.

• No they Won't

Many People love to have CDs/DVDs because it was our tradition and our heritage technology my family had lots of them. So I'm going to make my collection grow Besides I don't want an iTunes but i'm pretty sure the rest of someone doesn't the iTunes anymore. Besides the people Who still have CDs today will play In a stereo system, boombox radio, car radio, and laptop So I might think They will not obsolete Because thier's new album in 2017 and more new album in 2018 are coming soon.

• No they won't

CD was my favorite things to listen to music I love to use CD's and DVD and many people use them in the mid 2000's their worth buying music but soon I'm going to make my collection of CD's grow. Al-tho many people who still own CD player in their car, stereo, boombox, And computer,etc I believe they won't be obsolete.

• I thank they should not be obsolete

I had a small collection on CD's since I was 15 years old and I owned Retro late 80's Stereo system. And So CD and DVD are great things That we used today their worth buying them and I hope they will be on sale soon. But I thank they will not be obsolete Because I saw new albums on Amazon in 2017

• It not gonna Happen

They will go away and then come back just like records. So any way CDs are our heritage technology. But needless to say many people use to have records back in the early modern times, but so records but later records has been replace by cassette tapes during the 70s & 80s and now there back eventually. So lots of people are using CDs during the 90s and early 2000s

• Not anytime soon

While simply downloading music is definitely the norm now, CDs are still around. People have been downloading music for over a decade now, and CDs are still around, I think that they might become a bit more of a niche, but thats it, at least for now. Myself and other people still buy CDs because it is nice to actually have a physical copy of the music that you can rely on, and doesn't take up too much room.

Anonymous says2013-08-05T22:33:29
I feel that they are becoming obsolete and soon they will be gone because people are doing more downloading. Some local video rental places have closed in my area