• Obsolete!Hell yeah definitely

They will become obsolete in the near future due to websites and apps such as youtube,youtube red,netflix,amazon prime video ,hulu,sling and hbo go.Netflix already has a ton of tv shows that were bought with cds back in the day and CDS are also way more expensive. Example youtube is totally free nextflix basic subscription is only 8 usd whick how much 10 cds will cost

• Not in the near future, not like cassettes did.

First, you have to understand that the question isn't "What's better for music, CD's or Vinyl?" It's whether CD's will become obsolete.

Second, CD's aren't just for music. They are also for data. DVD's already hold a significant amount more data than CD's. In data terms, CD's are already obsolete--unless you consider that any sort of optical disc could be considered a kind of CD.

Third, CD/DVD tech is proven and reliable. The medium has no moving parts (unlike cassettes) and as long as it remains undamaged can hold data for long periods of time, probably upwards of 40-50 years. I have CD ROMS from my first PC that are 20+ years old and still work just fine.

Fourth, the medium is cheap and easy to produce, making it an efficient choice for data. Thumb drives may be smaller and more re-write friendly, but they are much more costly. Consider the cost of one 64 gb high quality usb drive is about the same as a whole stack of 100 DVD's, which gives over 7 times the storage. Added bonus--if you divide your backups onto several DVD's instead of putting them all on one flash drive, you gain a measure of security; if you lose a DVD you don't lose ALL of your data. Obviously, for long-term storage and backing up important data, nothing is as cheap and efficient as CD's big cousin, the DVD.

Finally, just because Apple does it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Ditching opticals on their new generation computers just forces users to buy external drives, so the weight savings is worse than nil, and now you've got extra gear to carry.

Because the data you record now is going to be around for 40+ years on a CD or DVD (or whatever comes next in that line of technology), there will be readers for that tech for many, many years to come.

I, for one, will continue to use them until I can't get them in stores anymore.

• Let's Face It

CD's are dying because vinyl is so awesome and vinyl has a warmer sound so there and with vinyl you can read liner notes unlike a compact disc music enthusiasts buy records because they are cool MP3 & I Tunes have made people STOP buying CDS aswell because they're digital and vinyl is awesome.

• Other Older Technologies have become Obsolete, why not CDs?

Before the CD was even made, there were cassette tapes. The cassette tapes have become obsolete due to the invention of CDs. Consumers have seen how CDs can provide a larger data storage, higher quality music, and easier functionality compared to cassette tapes. Now with the invention of the flashdrive (pendrive) and cloud, these CDs will also become obsolete for they can provide larger data storages and even easier functionality. In addition, they are easier to carry and stronger.

• Sadly , Yes.. Desktops & laptops don't ship in with CD Drives anymore

"Pendrives" the pocket sized dynamo can hold several Giga bytes of data & can achieve transfer speeds of a few Megabytes per second. Encryption techniques have brought down the size of data & the same holds for music. Studio quality tracs are still available if, you own a home theater system & would like to enjoy the nuances of music. The same can be downloaded onto a pendrive & be played from that pendrive. So yes Pendrives have shattered and demolished the need for CDs

• Vinyl Better Than CD's

Ever Since the Vinyl Came Back more and more people have been buying Their Music On Vinyl because of the Warmer sound, the detail, Resolution and dynamics and Basically Vinyl sounds more Life- like than CD's. CDs are just representations of the Music CDs over time will rot witch means they will become unreadable. In my opinion Vinyl is way better than CDs

• Obviously they will.

Everything is becoming digital and technology moves very fast. Remember floppy discs? CDs will go the same way. All music, films etc will be bought online and we'll transfer them from computer to computer through the cloud.

I can't believe that 46% of people really think that CD's won't become obsolete. In 20 years, d'you really think they'll still be around? Come on!

A lot of new laptops already don't have optical drives. Apple are removing optical drives from all their computers (including desktops) to make them thinner and more portable with the first one being the Macbook Air in 2008. When Apple starts to phase a technology out you know that it will soon be gone as Apple are often the first to do so. The original iMac was the first computer to not support floppy discs.

Vinil has made a comeback but that's only cause lots of people prefer the sound quality because the sound quality is actually different from digital. Also, it's nice to have a physical object and they have a stylish aspect as the are vintage.

But CDs/DVDs will be dead soon.

• Time marches on!

Everything eventually becomes obsolete. Even us humans.... It gets increasingly more difficult to learn all the technical stuff, as we get older.
    I never listen to downloads on my phone, don't know how to download to car. It's so much easier to put a CD in your car CD player.

• A Dying Breed

1. CD's are digital formats that have been replaced by larger capacity devices that are much more portable and flexible.
    2. Quality of a CD audio depends largely from the recording origin, but not so with lossless of flac format, etc.,
    3. Some argue about the physical presence and bonding one gets with acquiring a CD, I challenge those to try the LP experience.
    4. Others debate finding or discovering songs on CD's, but that confuse me because an entire album is usually available to preview from mediums such as iTunes, Google, etc.,
    5. Physical space. Yes, CD's don't take that much real estate but my 2TB HD takes much less and in my pocket, my portable device (ipod/cellphone,etc) can facilitate over 1000 CD or more worth of music. Yes, one can carry a CD case and a portable CD player but Hipsters wouldn't even do that.
    6. Yes, one can pick and choose their favorite tunes and put it on a CD, but wouldn't it be easier to put it on a thumb drive? Oh, the possibilities!
    7. Lastly, convenience: technological advancement should improve in the future. CD's had it's glory, so did 8-Track, Cassette, VCR's, Laser Disc, Mini-Disc, DVDs, and so forth. Even the youthful iPod is aging giving way to cellphones. In the digital world things will get physically smaller and with larger capacity drives and hopefully it'll find the warmth of analog.
    Side Note: LP's - the warmth the physical experience, a bliss.

• Haven't bought a CD in at least 10 years

CDs are definitely becoming obsolete. With things like iTunes, iPhones/iPods, and other mp3 players, there is just no need for them anymore. I think the last time I actually bought a CD was around 2003, so about 11 years ago. As a teenager in the 90s, CDs were all the rage. I remember belonging to clubs like BMG and Columbia House and I literally had hundreds of CDs. All of my friends did as well. Those were the days of the Sony Discman and going to school with a case full of CDs. While CDs are very nostalgic for me, I just don't need them anymore. I stream music on Pandora we have satellite radio in our vehicles. I have taken all of my favorite CDs and converted them into mp3 format on my computer to put on my iPhone. I also believe that DVDs and bluray will become obsolete in the near future as well. With things like Netflix and Amazon Instant Queue, who needs them? My DVD collection goes all the way back to around 1999, so I have a ton, but it's been a few years since I've actually watched one since I always just use Netflix or DirecTV's On Demand service. I have a few blurays as well, but I never really got into those. Bottom line, everything is in digital format these days and the actual physical discs are greatly fading out.

• No they won't

Come on! What's wrong with lives like in the 90's so any way we love to have CDs/DVDs it was about the way we were right?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .. . .

• It was just the same time

Many many people will get more attracted to the CDs for now the rest of them believe they were better than iPod. I can get the CDs what ever I want so extendable so I want to live like this even the others so let us be thankful for our floppy disc that was a part of our technology. So theirs CDs/DVDs to listening to music and wacth movies or TV shows.

• It was just the same time

• No they won't

So many people love CDs because they want to lives like in the 90's. Today even us traditional family. Some ways many people can lives like in the 90's anytime they want so anyway there are reasons to think about just today. Some of that floppy disc, we love our CDs/DVDs.

• No no no,! Not this time!

It's time to stay in our old ways let's face it. Many CDs/DVDs can never be gone because we care about them and they mean so much to us. So cause as you know everything will be just fine and The CDs/DVDs will survive like cassette did and we can still use it.

• Everything's still the same

Many people still buying and using CDs including us traditional family and technology are still the same. So it's nice to have a iPhone or an android So we love all CDs, Cassette, and vinyl. So this time we can get along with it, That was just the way things are.

• Let's be happy with it

Everything was a traditional. So you know there is lot's of things that we learn from, are the CDs/DVDs that we use back in the 90's and the early 2000's even today. So it was great to use a car CD player. But as well using boombox and component stereo system. But although buying a CD is easier than trying to download music in your app.

• App better than CDs

So this time we use a boombox for home and a camping trip today, And we like to use a CD component for the part stereo system that we use as a listening station. Sometimes there was the way we were the way we were is a lessen that we learn from. Right?

• Let's face it

CD's are still around because they meant so much to the people Even when there's a chance we think it was not a good idea for CDs to be replace by apple that did start with phase technology so then it won't happen. . . . .. .. . .

• Eventually they won't

Everything will still be around even though some digital tech can use traditional things. Do you know some kind of Disc? CDs did came but they thy stayed. Any type of music such like county, county rock, or classical music that can be brought at any stores or a web-stores.

Nobody will believe what a CD are. But they were quite digital just like the other kind of technology. So now I'm with the 81% of people think that the CD's won't become obsolete. So go on. We must join with them.

Many computers that was built by dell, and lenovo still have an optical drive even the Apple Come on! What's up with the iPhone you should try android as well as CDs their cheaper, you know that. People still buy lenovo's computers and dell's computers that will support our disc.

In the future CDs/DVDs will never go away.

Anonymous says2013-08-05T22:33:29
I feel that they are becoming obsolete and soon they will be gone because people are doing more downloading. Some local video rental places have closed in my area