Will legalizing polygamy bring more harm than good?

Asked by: SillyKid0609
  • So much wrongness for the anti-poly group.

I feel that there is a lot of issues regarding the whole idea of anti-polygamy that the whole thing is blown way out of proportion! A lot of the arguments made by people who are homophobic and such are also making excuses like;

"Jesus says it's wrong!" Show me one verse in the Bible where Jesus says so,

"It's without the women's consent and demenors women's rights!" First off; that is going by the idea that a one man multi-women relationship is the only type of polygamous relationship out there, ever. Secondly; women can be polygamous; I have a friend who is Polygamous and she is obviously female (Ised the term She for crying out loud) and she felt that the ideas that women are "forced" into these marriages in the modern western world to be ridiculous considering that a woman doesn't need to marry in this day and age! It may happen in Foreign countries where it is pretty much more likely due to women in 3rd world countries are lacking basic rights; yes, but not in America.

"It tarnishes the sanctity of marriage!" Homophobes use this a lot too, and I fail to see how it does. I don't understand how marriages in terms of ruining marriage, I'm sorry, but how is it okay if Kim Kardashian's marriage that lasted 72 days is fine but a woman who wants to marry two dudes is not?

"Men only participate in it because they're the only ones benefitting from it because of Sex!"; I really hate this particular argument; I refer to my last comment about men being the only polygamous types; but the idea that we only do it because of the sex? I am a man, and I am going to speak this truthfully and honestly from the heart, I DONT CARE ABOUT SEX! That's right; a polygamous MAN DOESNT CARE ABOUT SEX? You want to know why? Because ever since I got an interest in dating, I always found it weird how I'd always have a crush on multiple women, my heart would in a sense fluctuate to different women; I didn't and still don't care if I die a virgin, if I don't have and cannot live in peace with the possible two women I could ever love; I feel is wrong.

Who are you to tell me what I feel and what I don't feel? Who are you to say who I am and who I am not? Who are you to doubt the words of a man you don't know; also; for all you Christians reading this; Jesus was doubted by many, because they never knew him, do you wish to make the same mistake of his doubters?

• Polygamy IS Harmful!

No matter how you look at polygamy, true research, and from the words and experiences of those who've been there and escaped, shows that polygamy is harmful all the way around for men, women and children! That would be like legalizing the mafia and hoping the crimes will just disappear.

• Polygamy, specifically polygyny, is the ownership of women.

The "Sister Wives" crew fail to mention that they are being forced to live polygamy. Their soul's eternity is dependent on it. These women believe that their husband is their leader and God head, and that they cannot get into heaven without his approval. They are told that heartbreak is good for them and necessary to earn their rightful place. This archaic belief is propagated down through the generations, keeping women under the tight control of their husband and riddling them with guilt and shame for not serving him and his needs. It is all about building men and their kingdoms.

• It's all about consent!

The homosexual argument can be adapted for this case as well. If 2 or more adults consent to a relationship without any deceit involved, then it is actually morally reprehensible to prevent such relationships. Besides,a religious argument can be put forth: It is unacceptable to deny a relationship between people that is mandated by their religion as long as no basic rights are infringed upon.

• No potential for harm.

I fail to see how legalizing fully consensual, polygamous relationships could bring detrimental effects to any party involved. The same rationale for homosexual relationships also applies here. There's absolutely no way that a romantic relationship between competent individuals is harmful to society, therefore it's clear that adherence to outdated and unreasonable traditional standards is the only basis for maintaining the illegal status of polygamy. This is a secular nation; personal freedom should always take priority over tradition. Live and let live.