Will Pope Francis's appointment be a positive step for poor countries?

• He brings a lot to the table.

The new Pope is very different from the last man to fill that role. Our new Pope is the first to come from Argentina and the first Jesuit to be appointed as the Pope. This will speak to the poorer countries and give them a sense that the Catholic church is interested in them.

• It could be.

While I must admit that I do not know a whole heck of a lot about this new Pope, I think that there is a very good chance that his new role will allow him to greater aid the poor countries around the world. He wants to help everyone, and hopefully will.

• I doubt it

While I'm not going to question his hopes and intentions, I don't foresee any significant impact in poor countries that this or any other pope can make. The scale of problems is far too vast for an organization like this one to tackle when it has so many "in house" issues that will get attention first.

• Too busy with other concerns.

As someone who is not a fan of the Catholic Church, I don't think there is any guarantee that the new Pope will offer any extra benefits or perks for poor countries than is already offered. The Catholic church has bigger concerns to deal with, such as priests molesting kids.