• For the public schools yes.

The fact that teachers are willing to go on strike to preserve benefits in union contracts like the color of the teaching lounge and the room temperature proves this point.

If public school teachers want better pay, they should demand to be rewarded for performance, not seniority or tenure due to a teacher's union.

• A teacher's duty is to teach children.

At the end of the day, the point of a teacher is to teach children. Many teachers are content in their jobs and derive much happiness from this. I, myself, fit this description as a college instructor. It's true that the pay isn't the best, but the satisfaction far outweighs that.

• No, they will not.

The demonizing of teacher is truly awful. These people are tasked with raising our children while most parents are either too busy (some working 2-3 jobs, some just self absorbed) or too negligent to educate them personally. They often wake up at 5 am and don't get to bed until midnight. Remember, a teacher has to bring their work home with them, grading papers and answering student questions before handing the work back in the morning. They hold office hours before and after school, meaning 10-12 hour days. And they are in charge of 10-60 students. They deserve to be making more than a dollar or two over minimum wage.

• A teacher's job is to educate children.