Will the European Union survive another decade?

Asked by: Tophatdoc
  • The European Union will struggle to survive

The southern European countries have brought down the Euro with their bureaucratic incompetence.It is a question whether more countries will produce more political parties who are Euro skeptics. UKIP in the United Kingdom has become more popular as a result of the last recession and financial collapse. Radicals like Syriza, Golden Dawn, the Five Star Movement, and the National Front have steadily become more popular. The potential danger for the fall of European Union is growing. But I think that the political values of the EU, to have peace in Europe is more important than the economic values of stabilizing the Euro.

• Yes, sadly it will!

I'm sure it will last another decade even though I doubt that's a good thing. Brussels will discourage member states having UK style referendums (I voted leave) , we only got ours because David Cameron felt it would win him the last general election in 2015 which was looking marginal. But the wish of people will eventually burn through and other nations will begin to slowly break off until perhaps only something like the original 'Common Market' will remain. The sooner the better but it will take more than a decade I'm sure.

• Silence OR REPORT

HeyyfjnsjGVNLAB JGVBNAJ GRHAJFHV HAJVFHV ZSHVOUZNV ZIJVIOZV DJVV DCVJ\I UHJGVU AZH AZOHVOUJ;\ FVZ HVZNX B UVH DFZHCF UH VG AGH AHFVAOUP;F A CVOU\H V AOU;HV VA H UOUVIO JN UOSDFH VUUOUFHVB V F FG F FRJA AS C D \ \DC S\;JC\S S SODSO AP ZC ZX C S SD D C BG S A A Z D

• Yes, it will survive. It must!

Europeans needs to understand that extremism cannot win. A Europe without EU will certainly be more opened to conflict between countries. Let's not forget why EU was created, to confine extreme nationalism which had devastated the continent in WWII. Now it's easy to forget that another world war is very possible to appear.

EU is not only about who can buy more bread or milk.

There are voices who say that eastern countries should be out of UE. Would you rather see these countries stand for what Russia stands for?

• European Union will survive for a long time - some generations probably.

For sure there are some shortcomings of the EU - but what is the alternative? We need free trade in Europe, we need a coordinated foreign policy, we are happy to pass borders without being checked by customs, and despite of all criticism the euro provides a lot of advantages.

• Yes it will.

I think the European Union will easily survive another ten years. It has been around for a while and I think it will only get stronger. In this day and age where terrorism is common, I think the European Union is needed and necessary. It will survive long into the future!

• It will all go tits up

Firstly I am glad we (UK) have left the European Union, we was wasting far to much money on it- European countries will come begging for a trade deal when we have formally left this is because we import more from Europe than we export. In terms of the wider EU I think Germany may be the next country following us out Merkel has not listened to her people who hate the open door immigration policy and if Germany leaves aswell its the final nail in the EU coffin

• I believe that the only way the Greeks can get out of debt is to leave the EU and walk away from their unserviceable debts.

I believe that the only way the Greeks can get out of debt is to leave the EU and walk away from their unserviceable debts. This will allow them to revert back to the drachma and devalue their currency to where it should be abc not to keep up with the inflated figures made up for them to join the Euro. They can then slowly recover and other debt laden countries such as Portugal, Spain, Ireland etc will see that Greece are flourishing and will walk away from their debts. Eventually the Germans will be left holding the baby from the monster they've created. I just hope we're not involved at that point! Then this will signal the end of the gravy train

• Doomed to fail

It is no longer what it was originally intended for which means the over bloated and politicised organisation is no longer fit for purpose. It has achieved very little with the money received from net contributors except spread misery and turmoil to most if not all of the net beneficiaries. If that was not enough then it has allowed the security of Europe and Europeans to be completely undermined to the extent that terrorists are free to roam and kill as they please.

• EU has become obsolete

When the EU was first created, it was the common market, it was just better that way! Now, the EU has dramatically changed for the worse. I'm American, but I also have French nationality and speaking as a French national I can tell you this...A majority of us are against the EU. I mean non-secured borders, the euro, and now this refugee crisis. If the EU doesn't change I can't see it survive. We French never wanted to join. We wanted our borders closed. We never wanted our currency to change. Now, thanks to politicians like Angela Merkel, nationalist parties are on the rise and I don't blame the people who vote for these parties. It wouldn't surprise me if Marine Le Pen became France's next president. EU get your act together or prepare to lose more member states!

• The EU won't survive.

Europe is to split and disunited. What Poland needs is not what Spain needs and what France needs is not what Hungary needs. The EU system doesn't work and will never work it is too late for a union, for this system to succeed it would have needed to be implemented during the time of Charlemagne. In reality, the only reason why the union has survived to this point is because two of the three most powerful nations in Europe (Germany and France) are currently pushing and forcing other member states to comply with EU regulations, but once the current left-wing governments of those countries are voted out, the EU will lose most of its support and hence completely dismantle.

• French to vote for Frexit after Presidential Elections

Frexit will become a major political issue during the French Presidential election this April and a referendum will occue shortly after. As in the UK the Eurosceptics anti-immigration lobby will win the referendum.

Once France has left the EU along with Britain other smaller states will also leave as Germany will be the lone superpower. It is just a matter of time till the whole system collapses.

• EU likely incapable of survival without risking destruction

If we view the EU as an Empire: A state which is formed from many different cultural, ethnic and national state identities. Then it is destined to fail. The reason is relatively simple, its premise was to unite Europeans into a loose confederation and economic union and preserve peace in Europe after centuries of warfare, but it became an Empire. Empire's cannot survive without a level of centralization that would reduce the existing sovereign member states to mere territories; or another way to put it the EU must deprive the members of the Sovereignty it means to protect, violating its own founding principles, in order to preserve the EU as the Empire it has become.

The weakness in the EU system today is already apparent. They were unable to effectively react to Russian aggression against the Ukraine, and slow to come to an agreement on what to do afterwards. Syrian immigration, the EU member states agree they have to do something, but, cannot agree on what to do. So now the Schengen zone is dying a slow death and states are closing their borders. They were also unable, not forgiving the British here, work out a plan to keep Britain in the EU. These three examples alone should be enough to illustrate the failure of the EU as it exists today.

So the EU system of today cannot survive without centralization, it must become the Empire it is. However, doing so will likely fracture the EU as more member states and citizenry react against loss of sovereignty. We can wonder if pro-centralization member states be willing to cross the line into violence to preserve the EU? If an EU military is created would that same military be used against separatists? Europe has been civil for decades but the reality is the EU Empire, and its citizen supporters may have to take steps to ensure its survival if they don't want to see it collapse. This could lead to the first large scale war in Europe in 60 years. Remember, the U.S.A. had to go through the civil war to check state power, and abolish the institutions of slavery that that power allowed, and become the centralized Republic that it is today... Success here was not a guarantee, the U.S.A. we have today might well have not survived that challange, and indeed many in that time might have seen the experiment as a failure. We have 20-20 hind sight on our side in rationalizing the victory of the North. So, we should not discount such a possibility in the EU, it may also have to go through a painful trial by fire and none of us today can really predict the result with accuracy.

So, on June 24th, 2016 Britain's exit may be interpreted as the worse decision they could have made or in ten years time they may be seen as visionary and ahead of the curve by getting out before the EU fell apart.

• Drowning in debt

• Single market good ..... Everything else doomed it to fail

The EU was born of the ego and political ambition of a handful of mainly French and German politicians. Free trade and it's related legislation was to the benefit of the majority, but it was allowed to grow into a self serving bureaucracy. The introduction of the single currency might have worked, if confined to the stronger economies, but to expect such as Greece to flourish once tied to the same currency and fiscal rules as Germany, France, Holland and Italy was sheer fantasy.

Seawitch says2016-07-12T22:00:19.813
Yes, I'm sure it will last another decade even though I doubt that's a good thing. Brussels will discourage member states having UK style referendums (I voted leave) , we only got ours because David Cameron felt it would win him the last general election in 2015 which was looking marginal. But the wish of people will eventually burn through and other nations will begin to slowly break off until perhaps only something like the original 'Common Market' will remain. The sooner the better but it will take more than a decade I'm sure.