• Yes....Canada can't compete with the money being paid by US teams

Economics will kill hockey in Canada.......Not lack of a fan base or general interest.
    The strong American dollar along with a dwindling economy in Canada will send more and more good players to American teams. Canadian teams just cant compete in the big American teams without going bankrupt. We pay players in American dollars when our dollar is hovering in the mid 70 cent range.
    My cynical feeling is that Gary Bettman has no interest in the Canadian Market as the US media has no interest in it,

I am sorry to see the loss of our Canadian tradition but I don't think we will ever return to the hockey that most baby boomers watched.

• It will slowly die.

I'm now 32 and in my early teens we lived by it we knew names, teams, match results.. Now the current young generation from what I observed doesn't know a thing nor is interested. It is in strong competition with other hobbies and entertainment areas that It wasn't previously exposed to. So what times do change indeed and things rise and fall as they always did.

• Hockey is Elitist Garbage

The sport is 99% white, spoiled rich dudes with a vapid perception on life. They lack ambition and are afraid of challenge. The only reason they see revenue is because they fight during the game. It is only a matter of time before they approach the fork in the road between letting the sport die or allowing minorities a fair opportunity to play.

• Nobody cares about hockey

I live in "hockey town" and even here many people do not care about hockey one bit. The tv ratings for hockey are terrible and it is hard to cheer for a team where there is not a single person who is American. Hockey does have a place just not in the USA. It isn't our sport and will not last another 20 years.

• Long Tired of Spoiled Millionaires

Genocide 3 times in...16 years? Long tired of being held hostage by both sides. Far too much ludicrous hypocrisy. The game still plagued with gratuitous career ending violence to the brain.
    White honkey greed game has turned me off, I'm supporting soccer again. The worlds most popular game. The numbers don't lie, unlike the trash talking hockey columnists.

• Yes

NHL is slowly dying even today, not as many people are into it as they once were. Especially with the incredible lack of sportsmanship shown today, it simply is no longer enjoyable to watch. I was never a fan of the NHL, but even from watching a few games nothing is very appealing, i would not be surprised if the NHL died off soon.

• No NHL Still Live in Next 30 years new teams in Canada & USA & Europe & Canada Hockey back in days one hell games.

Hockey Still Live in Next 30 years it Die in next 60 years if Gary retire then yes NHL still live new person take spot with new teams, Next One, World Records break, New Rules, World Different Hockey Big Games in World NHL Go International Edmonton Oilers vs. London Knights. Ps. Jeff Busby

• A bad league, but won't die

It will not die, but become an obscure third rate league. As a long time hockey guy, I have seen it degenerate into a boring sport played by spoiled athletes and run by pampered executives. Players faking penalties like soccer players. Players not respecting each other, or the game. Coaches coaching the fun out of the game. Referees not knowing what the league wants called. A poorly run league, damaging a beautiful sport. NHL wont die, but will become even more of fringe league.

• Hockey will live!!!

Hockey will never die out totally! I feel this way strongly because kids will keep playing it for ever. I know the sport has lost popularity but so does every sport at sometime... I think that hockey is just going though a phase and will always be around.
    Thanks ;)

• I’m saying no more out of hope than out of absolutely certainty.

If Gary Bettman continues to be commissioner, there is no doubt in my mind that the NHL will soon die out. However, I like to think that, after his third lockout, they’ll sooner replace him before they’ll let another lockout happens. (and if another lockout happens, the NHL will be doomed for certain).

• No. NHL will still be around in 3 decades.

While hockey is not exactly a "big sport" in the United States, there are entire countries that have it as their national past time. Given the drastic decrease in transportation costs, cultures have assimilated in the US like never before. New immigrants as well as the old may help to keep this sport alive, even if the percentage of people that play it will be lower than it is today.

• No, it won't die off

I fear for the future of the sport under such incompetent leadership, but I don't think it'll die off completely. The NHL has survived bad decision after bad decision the past 15 or so years and hockey fans are still hockey fans, a diehard group of people that will follow what they love through whatever self imposed hell it endures.

• Not after the other day.

Considering the league and player's association took as long as it did to finally reach an agreement to end the lockout, it wouldn't be farfetched to think that the league as a whole could die in the next thirty years. However, as long as Canada exists, hockey, and by way of proxy, the NHL, will continue to exist.