Will there be a time, in the future, when we should stop developing new technology?

• Technology will deplete what makes us human.

Anyone can already witness how it affects our basic social needs in every day life. We don't have real, deep connection and communication anymore because everyone is behind a screen. You can swipe through people on social media and pick and choose in 30 seconds based on how people decide to project themselves on their own screen. What happens when we advance so much we completely lose what makes us human by having our robots and technology doing everything for us essentially becoming robots ourselves in the sense we lose the ability of free thought and all individuality to the instant gratification of the machine?

• Whoever says no is ridiculously CLOSED MINDED.

Technology isn't hurting us. We are. -No, technology IS hurting us because people use things because they can, because it's there.
    Life or Death? -Death, because it's just something that everyone has to go through.
    I think we need to select who can or can't breed instead of stop making technology. -Be prepared for riots/WW3 if that does happen. You can't just stop "idiots" from producing, take some humanity courses before you judge. Plus, this argument does not support the no side of the question anyway.

• Life is losing its meaning

I don't mind iPads,smartphones and play stations for me that's as advanced as we need to go for another 10 to 20 years but when you add things like smart watches,google glass and occulus rift it gets out of hand and kids and even adults lose their desire to go outside and socialize with people. It's taken over so much that humans will learn how to type instead of write....Oh how I envy the people that grew up in the 80s and 90s

• Future is late

Unfortunately we are not able to understand what is happening because our point of view is influenced by the length of the individual human life. We won`t be able to make a real change on time. Maybe this is the way that evolution recycles. Maybe we are here just here to turn off the light.

• It will overcome us all!!!

Technology will come to a stop for new inventions soon because it is becoming more and more impossible day by day.Robots are getting more and more like humans, and soon enough they will cause problems. Some people want Human Droning to become a realistic everyday human goal. I DO NOT!!! Technology also wastes away the human brain from social media. Radiation from microwaves and cellphones can cause brain damage and possibly even death. Humans are getting fatter and fatter because we have the "help" of technology doing our everyday chores and jobs. Technology will soon be strong and real enough that it will no longer need upgrades.WE WILL NEED UPGRADES!!!! Technology will come to a stop and kill everyone eventually

• I think it should stop

I am a 13 year old who still has a Walkman i listen to vinyls and rock and roll. Tech has come to a point were my classmates cant go 2 minutes without there phones. But don't take me wrong should keep advancing in medical tech. Just take it down a bit we've been around for a long time and have only the tech to exterminate each other a short time.

• I miss the good old days

Technology is destroying us as humans. We are past the time that it should have stopped. Should have stopped at GPS. Technology's ruining childhood memories and social interaction. I as a father am on my smartphone while my children play in the same room. I am missing out.... Staring at a screen.

• The death of the world

Technology is turning us crazy. These days we could never survive without it. Simply not having wifi for a few minutes can turn people insane. Social networking can be pretty cool and a fast way to connect with your friends, but it will soon become the only way. We are going to have to stop this at one point. Please!

• People are becoming zombified by technology. We need to take action now!

Remember the good old days? When kids used to play outside, not on iPads? When people would make eye contact and socialize, not just stare at a screen in a corner? When if you wanted to see or talk to someone, you'd go to their house? I think technology needs to stop to a certain extent. I'm more concerned about what's being put ON technology if you ask me, Facebook?, Instagram? Twitter? Its all a big set up by the government to make us sit back and look at a screen whilst they run the world before our eyes because they know we can all change the world and make a stand if we stick together. IPhone iPads tablets laptops, unless you are in a hospital or somewhere were modern technology is absolutely vital, none of us need them. Most of you are unaware that the government actually tracks the phones we use. Another thing is to me, you look at an iPhone and it has a million gadgets and applications on it. Movie apps, music apps, any app you can think of it has it. Back in my day if I wanted to watch a movie I'd either buy or rent one from the video shop, if I wanted to listen to music I'd buy a CD. We are all becoming lazy. It needs to stop.

• Without technology, we'd be dead!

Technology is vital to culture and human life. Without technology, hospitals wouldn't know what to do! Also, we would not be going anywhere without technology, we'd be lost and have to walk everywhere we had to go. If you think that new technology is going to kill us, well it doesn't! With new technology, we could teleport, fly to the depths of space (father than our solar system) or even find cures to diseases like AIDS or cancer!

Posted by: Mist
  • Technology Is key to the future evolution the Human race.

Without technological advancements, human beings would not be on this planet today. Innovation and refinement of technologies lead us from primitive beings to the dominate species on the planet.

There will come a time where all of our needs (food, water, power, housing, healthcare) will be satisfied by advanced technologies, however, like all modern technology, refinement and innovation will increase productivity, efficiency and decrease possible negative side effects such as ecological and environmental effects.

When Robotics and Artificial intelligence has reached an advanced stage, all manual labour and menial tasks will no longer be carried out by human beings. Human beings will not strive to simply survive as is the case in most 3rd world or economically down trodden countries/regions around the planet. Human beings will strive to thrive, We will begin to properly look towards interplanetary travel, Terra forming, sociological and cultural advancements, etc, etc.

• Keep Moving Forward

It is in human nature to explore and develop and to go beyond limits. Our planet is doomed to die but we are not. Eventually we will run out of space, resources, or time and I want my blood line to live on. It is in human nature to survive. It is a part of our animalistic side, and we cannot repress it; when the time comes we will be asked if we want to live or die--I will choose life. No matter your religious stance, if you even have one, it's a sin in whatever terms to waste life. Think of this; when you order a new phone someone in China makes, someone assembles it in the US, someone receives the revenue, and you enjoy the phone. You have now spread your influence around the world, employed someone, and provided them with the means to live. The world keeps turning and it revolves around communication and development. To keep a balance we must keep moving in order to keep things running the same. You may see the process of getting your Iphone boring but I see it in a different light that on that phone you would make a video that makes others laugh, improving someone's day, and they improve another's from their good mood, and so on spreading the love. I don't question what is above or bellow; I keep moving. At the end we all will find out what is true or not, or maybe we won't be able to know because there is nothing. Then what does all of this mean? What made the things that made us? There are things that I will never question and things that are too big for me to know. In order to survive as a race we need to keep moving to come closer to understand what we can and what we are meant to. Do we honestly want to throw away what took millions of years to make? Or will we keep being human and continue to fight on? One word can spark a war that will change what? Laws, borders, languages? We are all in the same boat and once we realize this we will be unstoppable. You can cut one branch but ten others will grow off the branch in it's place. We will grow, develop change, and move forward. No matter who has a selfish desire to change the direction. We will survive.

• Evolve or die.

Our intelligence and the technology we created with it is the only reason for our survival as a species. It's the only reason the general population is so shielded from reality (i.E. Natural selection) that they can make short-sighted claims like the "Yes" side.

Suppose we arbitrarily stop advancing our technology and just relax for an indeterminate length of time. Everything may be fine for hundreds of years. Then a threat to humanity appears, such as some kind of super virus or a large meteor. We aren't prepared to defend ourselves. A topic shows up on debate.Org: "Should we have actually done something in the past 500 years?"

Posted by: Quan
  • There will be such a time!

The human race should never stop advancing. If we do it will cause our own destruction. We are constantly fighting against many diseases. We will need to achieve space travel for the day that our planet would be destroyed. By what? Well it could be because of us, or for the people that say we can do away weapons then our planet would still be destroyed the the inevitable; the destruction of our own sun. The sun will not always be there and one day it will consume our planet. So o, humanity must continue advancing and look forward towards our future.

• why should we?

what has technology done to us? what would hospitals do with out it? And we need sattilite navgigations dont we!! we need to do home work how can we keep in touch with out phones an stuff like that and maysayso you can get healthy you can wach exercise programs. What if you miss something on tv? Just wach it on the laptop!

• Technology is fundamental to the Human Identity.

Not only is should we not stop developing technology, but we are naturally predisposed towards developing it. Attempting to stop the advance of technology would only slow it down, and would waste our potential even further. If anything, technology needs to advance at a faster rate and become more accessible to more people.

• Humans should always develop new technology, because it is our main strength.

Species survive by evolving certain strengths, and humanity has survived using intelligence. Technology is a sign of our intelligence, and there are always ways to improve our planet for our survival. It must be done in a way that is intelligent and careful, in order to avoid our destruction.

Posted by: DisillusionedGilberto67
  • I think technology is a vital part of our culture, therefore, I disagree.

Technology is what makes us who we are. The whole world runs on some form of technology, and to end it altogether would be crippling to our world. Markets, schools, and hospitals are just some of the few places that rely heavily on technological advances. We need to stay on top of the curve as best as possible.

Posted by: BoundlessHomer49
  • If we do not continue to develop new technology, our society and our world as we know it will cease to exist.

We know, for a fact, that our planet can only exist for so many more millions of years, and that the sun will cease to heat our planet at some point in time. If we do not continue to develop new technologies, we will have used all the existing resources, and will have killed off our own planet. We would ensure our own self-destruction. We need to develop new ways of existing, new methods of production and, possibly, a way to move our civilization to another planet.

Posted by: VagueWiley89

Anonymous says2013-08-07T13:09:18.400
If we don't advance there will be no point to life. People always want more, there will always be something to advance on whether it be household items or making planets sustain life 5000 light years away. We will advance until the sun gives out, then we will just move to another planet.