Will traditional phone landlines soon become extinct in the home as the popularity of cell phones and Internet calling services continue to rise?

• More and more people are choosing to pay for only a cell phone, because they're portable, and smartphones have other useful features.

Everywhere you go, people are using cell phones to stay connected to their families, friends, and to their work. Landlines are not used as the primary phone contact for business many times, and are expensive to maintain. From personal experience, many of my friends and business contacts only use cell phones, and have for some time.

Posted by: D3vinGooble
  • Yes, I agree that landlines will become extinct, because cell phones and Internet calls are generally cheaper and more convenient.

Landlines are obsolete. People who don't have cell phones generally can't afford a landline either, so there is really no market for landlines. Cell phone plans are easy, inexpensive, and used far more than a traditional home phones. Businesses may continue to use them, but private citizens really have no use for landlines.

Posted by: N3vinFace
  • Traditional phone lines will soon become extinct due to the popularity of cell phones because people are more accustomed now to all the things cell phones can do.

Sending and receiving pictures, texts, and videos has become so second nature to people that they prefer their cell phones to land lines. They are also more portable and don't go out when the electricity does. Also the cost of a land line has become so unpredictable; however, the cost of a cell phone is more easily managed. There are not so many unexpected costs with a cell phone and far more technological advantages.

Posted by: OnfBIeak
  • Traditional phone lines have inherent limitations and will eventually be replaced by cell and VOIP providers.

As technology consolidates, standard phone lines will become more and more rare. The problem with standard phone lines it that they are physically tethered to the phone infrastructure, and they also aren't multipurpose. Where internet connections can run voice, video, and data at the same time, standard phone lines don't have the bandwidth to do more than a small amount of data and voice at the same time.

Posted by: Fr4Giga
  • Yes, traditional phone lines will soon become extinct because there are other ways to communicate that are much more convenient.

Why would a customer want to pay for two different types of phones? Tethering is often available with cell phone services in order to use the internet through a home laptop, and that is the main purpose for a landline if someone has one.

Posted by: D_Sanford
  • I agree that landlines phones will disappear, because the other options are more efficient.

I think that cell phones and Internet communication are easier to use, cheaper, and more available these days than landlines phones are. The cost of wireless communication is very close to the cost of landlines phones, so people will chose to use those options, instead of the limited service the landlines phones offer.

Posted by: ChildlikeKenneth89
  • Yes, landlines for telephones are becoming obsolete, because fewer and fewer people are paying for using them.

Landlines are quickly becoming a thing of the past. People feel no need to pay for this older technology, when they have mobile technology at their fingertips. Newer mobile technologies and computer-based telephones are cheaper to use and have more predictable payments, particularly for long distance calling.

Posted by: baltute
  • Yes, because traditional phone landlines are already beginning to be obsolete.

Now that more and more people have access to personal mobile cell phones, there is less and less need for a traditional landline. It is too expensive to have both cell phone service and a landline, especially when almost all of the duties of a landline can be accomplished by a cell phone or Internet calling service.

Posted by: MannP4rk
  • The new age is taking over.

Many people today have cell phones. From IPhones, Samsung Galaxy's, or any other smart device. Some people nowadays are LIVING on their devices, and the most common is their cell phone. It's convenient and easy. Most purchase backup data or unlimited talk and text so they are already prepared for an emergency! Landlines are just too outdated for today's modern society.

• Landlines are here to stay

Landlines are reliable: they work in all situations. I often can’t get a signal on my cellphone which makes it useless. I just heard that in the Napa, CA earthquake which happened this morning, landlines were working while cell phones were not because people could not get signals. I’m going back to a landline.

• There are many technologies that require a direct phone connection and do not work with digital.

There are many different kinds of technology that require communications. Many of these require something solid in the way of communication. A direct communication line; something that is dependable. No matter how good cell phone technology is, or becomes, and no matter how great VOIP gets, neither is 100 percent dependable. The copper line, analog landline is the MOST dependable form of communication we have.

People who have home security systems depend on the landline - and while advancements is this area are improving, most still require them. People with implanted medical devices such as pacemakers require analog, not digital connections once a month to have doctors look at the monitor and battery life of the devices. Landlines are here to stay for the forseeable future.

• I believe landlines will continue to exist because not everyone embraces the new technology.

Traditional phone landlines will not be replaced by cell phone complete for a long time. Many people are not able to afford or access cell phones. Also, the older generation does not feel comfortable using cell phones. Furthermore, some people do not completely trust cell phones and want to keep landlines available for emergencies. Landlines don't require to be charged and cell phones are not completely reliable.

Posted by: EImerN4th
  • Traditional land telephone lines will continue to exist as long as cell phone coverage remains less than 100%.

In remote and mountainous areas of the country, cell phone coverage remains a haphazard chance. On two recent occasions, I needed to make urgent phone calls; one for a life-threatening emergency and one to report an accident. In both cases, I needed to drive away from the locale and repeatedly test for coverage. Precious moments passed before help arrived and it was only due to a land-line we found that it we found help at all.

Posted by: barryboi
  • I believe that despite cell-phone's popularity, there is still a place for the land-line.

Cell phones are wonderful on the go; we all know that. But they are problematic. Environmental concerns aside (there are a few, including their effect on honey-bees), purely from a convenience perspective cell phones are not as good as land-lines in some circumstances. Cell phones frequently experience signal trouble in buildings or even between hills. People who live in problematic areas still have use for cell phones. Land-lines are more reliable and clearer; when one is NOT outside and has the option it is usually the better. Their use has changed, but they still have a place.

Posted by: DuaneAir
  • Still widely used

Landlines may become extinct, but not soon. For starters, there are still vast areas that do not provide high speed wireless internet and even low speed wireless internet access is way more expensive than DSL via landline. Incidentally, Western Union sent its' last telegraph message in 2006, so I'd presume landlines still have decades before becoming extinct.

• Landline phones still serve purposes, even if they aren't used for normal everyday use any more.

While landlines are becoming fewer and fewer, they do still serve some purposes. They act as a backup in case the cell phone breaks or does not work. The biggest purpose they can still serve is an emergency line. During extreme weather, cell service may be interrupted while landlines still work. In these cases, landlines still serve as an emergency backup line in case help is needed, but cell service is out.

Posted by: KnownEvan
  • I believe that landlines will always be around regardless of what other technologies are available.

There are many people in the world that do not grasp modern technology. These people do not own computers or cell phones. They will be the ones that will assure that landlines will not become extinct. Even people that are very tech savvy tend to hold onto a landline in case there is a power failure and they need to make a call or in case there are issues with their cell phone service.

Posted by: 54nShaI
  • What if there's a emergency when there's a storm?

If there's a storm in your city and there's no power in your VoIP.
    What do you do we if I were you I would be greatful for the landlines. Using the VoIP would waste more energy so you shameful people should enjoy the landlines as its still here for you

• Landlines are here to stay.