Will virtual classrooms and online universities eventually take the place of all traditional brick-and-mortar universities?

• I think face to face interaction remains important enough in education that online universities and classrooms will never completely replace virtual ones.

Students learn better when they are immersed in a learning community along with others. There are too many distractions when trying to learn alone and too many interruptions. Face to face personal connections with professors give a level of mentoring and motivation that cannot happen by email or video. I think physical universities will always exist.

Posted by: R3yGoobIe
  • I believe that virtual classrooms and online universities will eventually take the place of most traditional universities.

In a stressed economy, it is quite feasible that universities would seek to cut costs of building maintenance and personnel by providing for online classrooms. The universities would need fewer professors. The teachers and students could live anywhere. Lessons could be taped and re-run at the university's convenience. Students would not have to bear the expense or time of travel, but would have the convenience of studying from their homes. They could still benefit from interactive classes by using blackboard or live feeds using cameras. Already many graduate classes are online. Some universities are providing distance learning at towns far from the university. This is just the next step. There are some majors that require labs, but other than those, there would be no problem with most classes meeting online.

Posted by: IindsM3II0w
  • I think virtual classrooms and universities will eventually take over the traditional universities because it will offer a more complete learning experience.

I think using the internet, students can have access to more information and knowledgeable teachers. It will enable each student to get a more specialized learning experience tailored to their strengths, weaknesses and needs. I also think it will be more cost efficient for the government.

Posted by: SamDude
  • Deez nuts 🍒

Got E E E E E E E E E E E E E. E E E E E E. E E E E E E E E E E E. E E E E E E E. E E E. E. E E E E. E. E E E E. E

• Deez nuts 🍒

• Dee's nuts 🍒

Got e e e e e e e e e. E e e e. E e e e e e e e e e e e e. E e e e e. E e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e m

• Poo poo pee

D s s s s ss s s s s s ss s s. Ss s s s s s s s s s s s. A ss s s s s s s s. As w w s s s s s s s s s s s s

• Eat toe fungus

H h h y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y y. Y y y y yay y y y y y y y y y y y y. Y The y y y y y y y y y

• Eat toe fungus

• Online education inevitable.

Virtual classrooms will not sacrifice the teacher/student relationship rather enhance it. Seldom, with current class sizes do students receive one on one time with teachers. This is totally achievable with a virtual teacher programmed to gel with your individual learning style and personality, providing you with complete one on one learning. Online learning allows self-paced absorption and better allows the virtual instructor to uncover strengths and weaknesses. The only thing better about brick and mortar places of learning is socializing with people;

• Eat toe fungus

• Face to Face is a must for some students

Because alot of people like the F2F interaction and only function that way anyways. We can talk about the hybrid, flip classes but not the face to face going away. That would just be sad and I hope it never happens as going through an online masters program I realized I would never do it again!

• Personal interaction is very important. It is called student life.

When students study at the Uni they share ideas, communicate, they also have fun together after classes. It is much easier to learn in a classroom, where you are surrounded by students and teachers than when you at home, relaxed and can get easily distracted by family members and interesting movies. Peer pressure plays positive role in traditional classrooms.

• We are human after all!

We rely so heavily on electricity and beng 100% connected does not seem feasible. Additionally, we are human beings who thrive on social interactions. Yes we can use skype or hang out to have virtual facetime with one another, we need to have professors and teachers in actual reality to support and guide us through the most challenging aspects of learning. Would I want a surgeon who spent more time dissecting virtual cadavers, or a dentist who practiced his techniques online. There is something so vitally important to learning within a classroom where all students can converse and interact to find solutions to problems. I take online courses for my masters because it is manageable for my busy lifestyle. I can understand that some young people who are training athletes, have special needs, severe allergies or have been bullied at school may prefer this type of learning to fit into their lives. As a traditional thinker I nay to replacing humans with machines, as a social constructivist I say provide me with some sort of virtual learning to enhance my education. Let's not forge the appeal of making friends, collaborating in real time and instant feedback that truly enriches our academic experiences.

• I do not agree

I do not think that virtual classrooms will take over. The common paper and pencil method will live on. You need to keep casual lifestyle in schools. My kid will love the new electronics but I do not think it is a good idea. Please schools do not attempt to bring new technology to schools. I love paper and pencil and mentally problems are better.

• Not all students learn in the same way

Based on current research nearly 40% of student are auditory learners who likely learn best in the traditional classroom. Nearly 60% of learners are visual learners who would likely be best served by the online classroom or by the classroom setting that offers at least a portion of its instruction online. Five percent of students are kinesthetic learners who perhaps would also learn best in a classroom that offers the opportunity to learn by doing which also includes the use of computers for at least some of their instruction.

• While virtual classrooms and online universities have expanded the accessibility of higher education to more people, they will never replace physical universities. There are subjects and topics that can only be perfected by face to face instruction.

Virtual classrooms and online instruction will never eliminate traditional college and university settings. There just are some classes that cannot be properly taught without the physical interaction provided by the classroom setting. The laboratory requirements of a upper level university chemistry course cannot be replicated in the online environment. The basics can be taught from a book or website, but the physical actions of mixing compounds, accessing and recording reactions, and the process of discovery can only be experienced in real-world interactions. For these reasons virtual classrooms and online instruction can never totally replace traditional colleges.

Posted by: G4rwIsdead
  • Brick and mortar universities will always be around, because many people prefer them.

As long as there are people who are willing to spend money on brick and mortar universities, they will be around. Many people prefer going to a classroom and interacting face-to-face. The rise of online and virtual education is to give people more options, not to take the place of what we have now.

Posted by: babyuniqh
  • I highly doubt that e-learning will fully take over for brick-and-mortar schooling, due to lack of human interaction.

I don't see e-learning as a perfect form of education. It has its place for certain classes but, for the communication-based classes, I don't see it working. Classes, such as public speaking, I don't see how it will work, if there is nobody physically listening to you. Talking into a camera is a lot different than talking to a large group. That said, I think the two will meld and mesh together. But, society will not fully drop brick-and-mortar for virtual classrooms.

Posted by: KindErik
  • Virtual classrooms and online universities will not take the place of traditional attendance at universities, because students still require face to face contact for greatest achievement.

While online learning has become increasingly popular, the quality of education is often affected. For many students, they need the standard classroom setup to maximize achievement. This type of classroom allows for greater interaction with the professor, ease of clarification for assignments, and a regular schedule many individuals require. In addition, students who attend college right after high school are less likely to choose an online education, because it denies them the other advantages of attending an institution.

Posted by: PainfulMohammed81