Women as objects: is the sport of wife-carrying hurting the women's movement?

• This portrays women as objects.

I believe that the sport of wife-carrying is hurting the women's movement. The origins of this sport are thought to date back to the 1800s where it was common practice for thieves and robbers to raid villages and capture the men's wives, running away with them on their backs, as if they were property. Sports and events like this that celebrate that sort of history and belief system perpetuate the idea that women are property, which absolutely sets back the women's movement.

• Yes, the sport of wife-carrying is hurting the women's movement

Yes, the sport of wife-carrying is hurting the women's movement. Wife-carrying is not a sport. This is not something that should be watched by other people and promoted. It makes women look dainty and ultra-feminine. Wife-carrying suggests that women need a male protector who can carry them around like little children.

• It doesn't hurt women.

The "sport" of wife carrying does not hurt women or the women's movement. These women are participating in this because it's something they want to do--no one is forcing them to do this. True feminism should be about giving women options to do whatever they want instead of limiting them with rules.

• No, I do not think the sport of wife-carrying is hurting the women's movement.

No, I do not think the sport of wife-carrying is hurting the women's movement because the sport is intended for laughs and isn't meant to be taken seriously. Although some might see the sport as sexist, I do not think it necessarily is because it is an undeniable fact that men are physically stronger than women.