Worker outsources his own job to China: Is what's good for the goose good for the gander?

• Yes, Worker outsourcing himself has poetic irony.

In my opinion the recent case of the worker who outsourced his own job to China is a perfect distillation of the saying "whats good for the goose is good for the gander." The people whose job it is to outsource the jobs of others to foreign countries know better than most that the global economy is a rough and tumble place where jobs are fluid and nothing is guaranteed. Therefore, for the above mentioned person to have taken a direct role in his own outsourcing is quite ironic and serves the man right.

• I think that outsourcing is on the rise and will only increase.

Despite what politicians promise and companies try to avoid, outsourcing is becoming more commonplace and will only continue. Personally, I could see my current job in operations for a large company being outsourced, in some ways I'm surprised it hasn't been yet. It isn't only manufacturing jobs at risk but also IT and tech jobs that are seeing more outsourcing now. Companies are profit driven, and any means to maximize those profits is never off the table.

• No, not necessarily.

No, I don't think that "one size fits all" works in most scenarios. This worked for one particular individual, for whatever reason. But outsourcing as a whole doesn't work for everyone. It may benefit some businesses because costs go down, but it hurts workers because jobs go away. I do believe in looking at it on a case by case basis.

• No, this is a bad practice.

Outsourcing work to other countries is a bad practice. It ends up putting people who live in America out of work in the end. Some people try it because they think it’s a good idea, but they quickly find that it’s more trouble than it’s worth and it truly does rob people of jobs.