Would a mandatory jail sentence help decrease the instances of drunk driving?

• If, people get arrested and still drink then there not taking it seriously!

If that does not work then maybe they have to be arrested for life because I always learn the hard way if I do something wrong a second time but after that I never make that mistake again!!! The easy was is listening to the government and non drunk driving signs. The hard way is getting fined but the even harder way should be getting a huge fine like $15,000 and a 3 year jail sentence and hopefully that will teach them of course and if it's a 3rd time well maybe it's bye bye $30,000 and 10 years ofjail that seems like a nice punishment

• They need to learn the lesson

If they do not get the lesson they better go again but if the punishment is not good enough then too bad too sad. But they might need about a 2000 $ fee and a 3 year jail sentence because they just do not know what to do and what not to do. There fault that they do need the real discipline.

• They need to learn the lesson

• What is wrong with the world? Do you understand what it means to take someone's life?

It makes me sick that these drink drivers who kill get away so easily. How would you feel if a drink driver killed a relative of yours? Getting drunk is absolutely no excuse. There is nothing more evil and sinister than taking a life. Yes I understand that it was not deliberate but it still cost a life. I would say 20 years for every person killed and a lifetime ban.

• In Arizona your first DUI is 10 days in jail and a $7,000 fine, that should be a national penalty.

First offense should be $7000 fine and 10 days in jail. Drunks are like kids they need to a quick swift punishment to deter from future offenses. Not sure about you but that certainly would deter me. Considering that most people drive under the influence on average 80 times before caught. 80 times is too many times to kill people. Thats serial killer status.

• Drunk driving kills almost 10,000 people a year.

A serious penalty has to be put in place to prevent the fact that drunk drivers kill this many people a year. This statistic might not mean a lot to the people reading it, but a year and a half ago I lost my friend of four years because of a drunk driver. Something has to be done.

• Most drunk drivers are repeat offenders

After the first time you are pulled over and receive a DUI, most would think that it would never happen again. However based of statistics published by MADD, this is not the case. If we make stricter laws on the first offence, the likelihood they will continue to put themselves and others in harms way will be reduced. Think about it, if you had to sit in prison for up to 1 year, wouldn't you rethink your life decisions? I know I would.

• If you decide to drink, find a designated driver

You could kill a lot of folks and ruin families. Being jailed the first time might give you a reality check and you might not do it again. Think of your loved ones. They will hurt just as much as you are. Think of all the money you're gonna spend. You're gonna have a bad time with money AND jail.
    YOU COULD KILL.

• Yes, not fair to others on the road.

I do believe that our system needs to be stricter on drunk driving instances, because honestly we all know that if we get in our car after a couple drinks the most we'll get is 48 hours and a lot of debt. Considering that we don't crash our car or kill ourselves or anyone else. Knowing that you could kill someone isn't realistic for some people and seems like a rare instance, but knowing that you could be imprisoned for a few years would most likely hold them back. I understand that people have problems with alcohol (as do people in my family) but to me thats not a good enough excuse to be let off easy. If someone got in their car intoxicated, being an alcoholic or not, and killed one someone I'm close to, it wouldnt make me feel one ounce better knowing that they were an alcoholic. The issue is that your endangering innocent people, that should never be taken lightly.

• In 500 years no one will remember anyway

Being a true believer in letting each do as they please, no one should be punished for anything they do. The strong will survive, and the weak and lame will die. Simple as that. It would save the cost of government. Live and let live...die and let die. Callous statement to be sure. But, life is short. Over the course of thousands of years, it isn't going to matter anyway. If you live to be 90 or 9, you're just a speck in the universe. You won't be missed or thought of at all in 500 years, so who should care. We're all going to die sooner or later, so, it doesn't really matter.

• Stop the Shaming

Let those who are addicted get the treatment, counseling, medical attention, etc., that they need. Jail won't help the addiction. Shaming can cause the defendant to repeat the behavior. Some defendants have serious mental illnesses which require a physician's care. They deserve to get it. Fortunately, most drunk driving incidents do not result in accidents, so it's best to allow the defendant the opportunity to get help early on.

• Defendants Need Treatment

Some drunk drivers need alcohol treatment. A jail sentence would result in a life-long resentment, no treatment and contribute to perpetuating active alcohol addiction, employment problems, financial problems, etc. Focus on treatment, not punishment. Tougher consequences should be imposed only if there is a serious accident. The majority of traffic fatalities are caused by sober drivers.

• Preserve Judicial Discretion!

Recognize that every person and every situation is unique. Sentencing is more effective when judges are allowed to make case-by-case decisions that factor in the circumstances of the individual. The statistic that "the average drunk driver drives 87 times before being pulled over" is irrelevant; in America, we are sentenced only for crimes in which we are convicted.

• Being silly

Just get rid of cars, they pollute kill people, animal(all that road kill), I'm constantly broke because its $5 a gallon. ever 5 years the damn thing breaks and have to go buy an even more expensive model, car companies discontinuing parts. Put a drunk behind a bicycle probably just fall over. BE SMART DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE

• Where it is the culture to drink, no regulations that assume personal responsibility will work, we should focus on taverns who over serve their customers.

It is law in most states that bartenders are responsible for not allowing a patron to become too intoxicated, yet it is only enforced if someone dies because of a drunken customer. The bartender is obviously in a situation of being in a conflict of interest, as the more he or she sells, the more they make. If bartenders were more responsible, and it wasn't the culture to drink, we would have far less drunk drivers.

Posted by: daveyxh
  • No..but in certain cases then jail is needed

For the drivers that have a problem with the abuse of alcohol or drugs you always gotta see how to help them fix that problem first just punishment is not sufficient in their rehabilitation. I don't feel that mandatory jail time is helpful in these cases specially where there was no injuries or deaths involved. In fact it might even make their situations worse if they lose their jobs and family because of incarceration. So in conclusion mandatory jail time should be applied accordingly to the specific case. Intense treatment plans would work better in my opinion.

• No, mandatory jail sentences would not help decrease the instances of drunk driving. Penalties right now are very harsh, and people who are going to drink and drive will do it no matter what the penalties are.

No, mandatory jail sentences would not help decrease the instances of drunk driving because penalties right now are very harsh and costly. People who are going to drink and drive are going to do it no matter what the penalties are. The instance of drunk driving have been decreasing recently and it would be very costly for taxpayers to incarcerate more people. People who drink and drive don't think about the penalties before doing so or they wouldn't be drinking and driving now.

Posted by: MycCra2ii
  • I disagree with mandatory jail sentences for drunk driving because I think that raising awareness would be more effective.

I do think that repeat offenders and those whose impaired driving takes a life or causes sever injury should receive jail sentences, but a mandatory jail sentence for a first offense might cause a life or family unit to be ruined due to a lapse in judgment. I think raising awareness about what constitutes drunk driving is key -- many people feel that there is a difference between "driving drunk" and "driving buzzed," but in the eyes of the law the difference is not that apparent. I think that learning what constitutes "impaired" driving would help a lot of people understand when it's time to had over the keys. I think that effective public transport could help a lot.

Posted by: Shim2free
  • No, people get arrested and put in jail multiple times and still they drink and drive. Drunk people don't even consider going to jail when they drive under the influence.

When people get behind the wheel that have had too much to drink, they don't think of the consequences, period. Knowing that they might kill someone doesn't deter them, why would a mandatory jail sentence? Repeat offenders are a perfect example. These people know for a fact that they will do time, but they do it anyway. I don't see any way to keep people from drinking and driving unless there's a breathalyzer attached to the ignition key and it is activated once the person [driver] is in the seat, and cannot be 'tricked.' THAT is a good idea. I just thought of it.

Posted by: PinkMych