Would academic cheating decrease if students were required to read more often and do less repetitive homework each night?

• Yes it would

As a student taking multiple AP courses, I rarely have time to complete all of my work to good standards. To make matters worse, I am a Varsity baseball player in the spring. This gives me little time to do my rediculous amounts of homework, and occasionally I resort to academic dishonesty to maintain my 3.8+ GPA. Colleges are so cutthroat about who they accept now, so I do whatever it takes.

• Yes, of course.

Academic cheating would decrease if students were required to read more often and do less repetitive homework each night. Of course it would. Another approach we need to take is realize that each student is unique and learns differently. Then we have things like aspergers and OCD and dyslexia. Much needs to be considered.

• Homework is discouraging

Although there is probably a necessity and a place for homework, it is also massively time consuming busy work that sometimes does not reveal the value of learning for learning's sake, that a more intensive study of the readings required for class may do. Less and less people are reading these days, and this would be a good way to combat it.

• The cheating levels would not change.

Nope. The level of academic cheating would remain the same. There are just a lot of lazy kids out there who are always looking for a shortcut. Blame it on their parents for never teaching them any kind of work ethics. Also, the last thing that most kids want to do is read.

• Academic cheating would not decrease.

I feel that academic cheating would not decrease if students were required to read more often and do less repetitive homework each night. If students were required to read more they would be looking up book summaries online or telling eachother what certain chapters are about sharing the load. Cheating in academics is unavoidable.

• No, cheating would still continue regardless of the work you put in front of a student.

No, cheating has nothing to do with the nature of the work that is given to them. As a student, I can admit to cheating on plenty of things and not because they are difficult or mundane. You cannot make a student read, but you can help a student understand what they read. If students are anything like me, being forced to read makes me hate reading. I don't mind reading something I am interested in. Also academics now are so centered upon the state tests that are given, versus teachers actually teaching knowledge, not out of book.