Would Allowing the Medical Use of Marijuana Send the Wrong Message to Our Children and Our Society?

• My kids agreed with me.

My original opposition to medical marijuana began in 1997, which at that time was primarily a cover for legalization. From my own memories as a teen , I distinctly remember looking for any excuse to start smoking pot. That moment came for me when I realized my most straight-lace relatives drank wine to get a buzz. That was my"green light" to use. Medicalization, it seemed to me, was the greenest light imaginable. My children were teens in 1997. A couple of years later, my daughter said to me "Dad, everything that you said was going to happen, did". It's not often a teen tells a parent, years later, that Dad was right.

• No it won't

Allowing the medical use of marijuana will not send the wrong message to our children are our society. I think it will send a positive message. Marijuana has many medicinal uses. It is a natural product and has very little minor side effects. I think that its use sends a better message than pharmaceutical drugs that are far more harmful. It shows that nature provides us with a better solution than man made poisons.

• Medical marijuana doesn't send any message.

I don't think that allowing the use of medical marijuana will lead to any wrong message to children or society. If anything it sends the message that our country isn't too proud to admit when we are wrong and that we are willing to take advantage of what we have available.

• Allowing the Medical Use of Marijuana would not Send the Wrong Message to Our Children and Our Society.

Allowing the use of medicinal marijuana would not send the wrong message to our kids. Children can understand the difference between medicine and recreational drugs. Medicinal marijuana would never be widely used since few people genuinely qualify for its use. Children would rarely be exposed to marijuana, and it would have almost no effect on them.

• No, it sends the right message

If we allow medical marijuana use this sends the right message to our youth. The message is we will use what we have at our disposal to help those in need medically, but we will not allow this drug to be used at other times. This sets straight guidelines for the use of marijuana.

• Allowing the medical use of marijuana would not send the wrong message to our children and our society.

Allowing the medical use of marijuana would not send the wrong message to our children and our society. I think our children would understand the need to legalize something that should have never been illegal to begin with. I think that by legalizing this would do nothing but benefit our society and our economy.

• Medical Marijuana Leads to Legalization

An overwhelming majority of our criminal justice system is flooded with people in jail for drug-related offenses stemming from marijuana use. Making medical marijuana a legal option eventually leads to outright legalization. Parents are the ones who send wrong messages to children, not laws on the books. Medical marijuana should be an option as a last resort if other pain remedies are not effective. Living in pain isn't worth it, and if medical marijuana improves the quality of life, then go for it.

• Not any more than tobacco or alcohol use does.

Tobacco and alcohol are used in our society today almost entirely recreationally. Marijuana has medicinal properties when smoked (mainly, as a painkiller). As long as it's property regulated and taxed, much like tobacco and alcohol, how could the use of medical marijuana possibly send the wrong message to children and society.