Would colonizing the asteroid belt be possible?

Asked by: Cat47
  • The issues is energy.

The main issue is energy, with fusion power we could easily have the ability heat and light such stations. Using artificial light and hydrophilic farming you could easily produce enough food to sustain a small colony. Producing the light needed for a plant is much easier than it sounds because most of the sun's energy isn't in wavelengths planets can use but our lights can so we can use much less energy than needed in the sun. We can also create rotating habitats inside the asteroid using the outer layers as resources and radiation shielding. Sure we will never be able to terraform them so you could walk around without a suit but mining stations and areas for small communities to isolate them selves from the majority of humanity are still viable. To find out more please check out this video on how we could colonies the outer solar system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W7IRBeDkj4 and this one on the inner solar system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALBMdY9-SZs&t=13s.

• Asteroids would be more accessible to each other as well as planets.

All asteroids are wanderers within the solar system. A colonized rock would be travelling throughout the belt, often passing within a relatively close distance to other rocks, therefore other colonies. A lively system of trade, people exchanges, and knowledge could be exchange during such 'windows', with a minimum of fuel/energy costs. This would increase population and diversity within the solar system.

• Slay all blacks

Yes if it would get us away from those filthy monkeys that some call niggers or "black". Please just get me away from them. Just last week I went into Walmart to find some raisins and I couldn't find them, and a black monkey came up next to me and started molesting a 5 year old girl, how crude!

• Slay all blacks

• They are rocks

It would be very hard to live on a bunch of rocks that have no water and no way of producing food. Plus based on their distance from the sun they would be way too cold for us to attempt to live there. Lastly if they collide we would all die.

• No it wouldn't.

Asteroids have little/no gravity. Life expectancy can be determined by gravity. The only way this could be patched would be the development of artificial gravity. Asteroids also have no atmosphere. They are also extremely vulnerable to solar radiation. Any asteroid colonies would be constantly threatened by small collisions. Unless we figured out a way to solve this, we could never colonize any the planets in the solar system, let alone the asteroids.